Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns N' Egos: Arenas and Crittenton suspended for the season (UPDATE ON P.7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Plot Thickens

Agent Zero finds out he does not in fact have a license to act like a complete dumb ass:

said he "respected" Stern's decision to suspend him.

"He is the same man who put me on my second all-star team after I got snubbed by the coaches," Arenas added. "That decision came down for me. He made a tougher decision today that went against me. And I have to accept it."
    . "I just want to remind him of who I am. I'm the kid who jumped off the trampoline at the all-star game, the kid who throws his jersey to people in the stands. I'm not the hoodlum that's being written and talked about right now.
    "I'm sorry for my teammates, the city of Washington, the memory of Mr. Pollin and his family, and all my fans that support me and the game of basketball. I mean that. This shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't have got this far. I know that."
    A more detailed story of what I will now call "Gilbertgate"
    The dispute between Arenas and Crittenton began on the team plane during a popular card game between players called "Boo-ray." Crittenton lost roughly $1,100 to JaVale McGee, a Wizards center, in the game, according to a player who watched the game and who also spoke on condition of anonymity. Crittenton, already angry over a dispute over the game's rules, became irate when Arenas began needling him.

Their barbs escalated to a point where Arenas, smiling, said he would blow up Crittenton's car, according to two players on the flight, who requested anonymity. Crittenton replied that he would shoot Arenas in his surgically repaired knee.

Walking into the locker room two days after the dispute on the team plane, according to two witnesses, Arenas laid out the guns in Crittenton's locker. Two other teammates eventually sauntered in and, while Arenas was writing the note in front of Crittenton's cubicle, in walked Crittenton, according to their account.

Asking Arenas what he was doing, Arenas replied, "If you want to shoot me, I'd just thought I'd make it easy for you." As other teammates laughed, Crittenton crumpled up the paper, tossed one of Arenas's guns across the room, where it bounced in front of a team trainer, and said he didn't need any of Arenas's firearms because he had his own, according to the witness accounts.

Crittenton then drew his weapon, loaded it and chambered a round, the witnesses said.
    ad_icon

Neither witness said the gun was ever pointed at Arenas, but both said Crittenton began singing as he held the gun.

Arenas began laughing, the witnesses said, telling Crittenton, "Look at that little shiny gun," as two other players slowly retreated to the training room.

Arenas eventually followed. By the time the players came back out, Crittenton was gone.
    The implications for Gilbert's accomplice in stupidity:
    Two of the five people in the room that morning, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Arenas had originally not disclosed Crittenton's action to protect the little-used guard from prosecution and had told Crittenton he would assume full responsibility for the actions of both players that day.

In a two-hour interview with police and federal prosecutors Monday, Arenas, in his version of the story, spoke of Crittenton's loaded gun, a person with knowledge of Arenas's testimony said.
    Crittenton's gun, according to the witnesses of the altercation, was never found. Both witness accounts said they were unclear how the gun was disposed of.

Preston Burton, a defense attorney and former assistant U.S. attorney in the District, said it would be difficult to build a criminal case against Crittenton based on the scenario described by the witnesses. He said prosecutors would look at factors, including whether they could prove Crittenton had a weapon, and whether the gun was real.

"It's going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make a case without a gun," Burton said.
    Source to all quoted material: Washington Post
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Jan 7, 2010, 10:57 AM.

Comment

You gotta think this picture threw Stern over the edge:

From Tuesday nights game-next morning Stern suspends him indefinitely...

Comment

Gilbert may lose close to $90M

As for Washington, one source close to the situation said in the wake of Gilbert Arenas' indefinite suspension this week: "The Wizards are 100 percent going to try to void Gil's contract, and they're 100 percent going to clean house. There is now not a single player they wouldn't trade."
        ESPN.com

If you ask me, Gilbert's decision to bring guns to work and show off with said guns may be one of the most costly decisions any pro athlete has ever made outside of Tigergate.

Comment

Jamison and Flip

"It's been going on too long -- long enough," forward Antawn Jamison said Friday. "We're definitely sick of it, too much negative publicity, and I think guys are just to the point where we just want to get some positive publicity and turn things around and start winning some games, start having fun. We haven't had fun in a while, so my New Year's resolution is just to have fun, go out there and play hard and do everything possible to start winning."
          "The difficulty is not only that you're missing a good player, but just the whole situation," coach Flip Saunders said. "The dynamics of what's happening, as far as having to talk to people and things like that. Anytime there's focus away from what you're trying to do as a team, it's not conducive for you to be at the top of your game. It's something we have to fight through."
          "A lot of guys didn't know what was going to take place," Jamison said. "A lot of guys didn't see that happening. I know you see the photo and you see a certain image, but that photo

doesn't justify the way guys viewed the whole situation. Once again, it's just another use of poor judgment."
          "You think we're going to initiate something serious like that?" Jamison said. "If you know me, you shouldn't ask that question."
          "It's going to affect not only the people's lives involved, but our lives as well," Jamison said. "We don't have one of the best players in the league, that's affecting everybody. Changes might happen, that's affecting everybody."
          ESPN.com

Comment

Artest's thoughts

Gilbert, Ron Artest would like to have a few words with you.

"I just pray for him because ... he just likes to have fun and he just took it really, really far," Artest said in an interview with CBSSports.com. "He's a comedian, and he just took it too ... far."
            "That's life, though," Artest said. "That's life. You could put people's names with a lot of things. If people continue to try to think a person is going to be perfect in their life -- superstar or not -- they're going to continue to get disappointed."
            "I knew Gilbert," Artest said. "He's just always smiling, always having fun. A big-time, big-time comedian. And even when he got in trouble, he still did those things. He doesn't know any better than to be a comedian. And then this time, the joke was disturbing to Mr. Stern and now he regrets it. I just know more than anything, he regrets not being with his teammates. That hurts him more than anything. I know that for a fact."
            "I used to think a lot of bad things about David," Artest said. "But I think he's a good person because he reaches out. I like that because I'm a goofball, too. I could do something stupid that I didn't mean to do. David always reminds you what's at stake, what's important. I always enjoy meeting with him because you forget that you're in a business. Sometimes, I forget and I make a mistake."
            I asked Artest, in the visiting locker room at the Rose Garden last week, what he would do if he were in Arenas' shoes. At first, he said, "I can't see myself being in his situation." Then he paused, put his head down, and thought about it for 15 seconds.

"Did he finish college?" Artest finally asked. "I would recommend that he go back to school and talk to kids in rough neighborhoods about the importance of trying to stay away from guns, the importance of staying away from drugs, the importance of getting an education and good decision making. Go back to school. And then I would advise him to raise his kids right, take them to school, take them to basketball practice, take them to recitals. Be with your family.

"Try to make it better," Artest said. "Just try to make it better. Everybody wants to see him back playing."
            CBS Sports

Comment

Ron Ron comments on Arenas' gun incident

I was waiting for Artest to comment on the whole Arenas situation. I find it ironic that Artest is saying Arena's behavior went too far. This coming from the guy who admitted to drinking Hennessy at halftime, and went into the stands to fight a fan.

Gilbert, Ron Artest would like to have a few words with you.

"I just pray for him because ... he just likes to have fun and he just took it really, really far," Artest said in an interview with CBSSports.com. "He's a comedian, and he just took it too ... far."

Though their situations are entirely different, the days, weeks and months ahead for Arenas are similar to what Artest faced in the aftermath of the notorious Palace brawl in 2004. Artest ultimately was suspended 73 games, lost $5 million in salary and faced the strong possibility that he'd never be able to resurrect his career. But Artest has done it, having finally reached a point where his résumé and reputation include his basketball exploits and not simply the indelible image of the day he snapped.
              http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...there-and-back

Comment

Arenas charged with felony gun possesion

Everyone knew it was only a matter of time.

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas has been charged with a felony in connection with last month's locker room confrontation with a teammate.
                Arenas was charged Thursday with one count of carrying a pistol without a license.
                The charges were filed in D.C. Superior Court in an "information," a document that generally signals a plea deal.
                His lawyer had no immediate comment.
                Arenas has said he kept multiple guns in his locker at the Verizon Center. He claims he wanted to keep them away from his children and didn't know it was illegal.
                He says he took them out of the locker on Dec. 21 in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate.
                Arenas has been suspended indefinitely by the NBA.
                http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/14/a...s=iref:nbahpt2

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                  I was waiting for Artest to comment on the whole Arenas situation. I find it ironic that Artest is saying Arena's behavior went too far. This coming from the guy who admitted to drinking Hennessy at halftime, and went into the stands to fight a fan.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...there-and-back
                  Why's it so ironic? If anything he's more in a position to comment on it than any one of us, cause he's been down that road.

Comment

Perhaps you're right...but I find it ironic because imo Artest is the last person who should talk about "going to far", for all the reasons which are widely known. He should've just left it at giving advice to arenas on how to cope with the situation. If it was me I wouldn't make comments knowing I have done just as bad things or even worse. I would just offer advice.

Comment

Gilbert Arenas was charged Thursday with a single count of carrying a pistol without a license, a felony that carries a five-year sentence, but the Washington Wizards guard has reached a plea agreement that could spare him jail time, several sources close to the case said.
                      "I can confirm that a search warrant was executed on Mr. Crittenton's apartment today, that Mr. Crittenton cooperated with the officers conducting the search, and that no evidence was found or seized by police," Peter White, Crittenton's lawyer, said in an emailed statement.
                      WashingtonPost.com

At this point this is what the media is going to paint them as no matter what:

Comment

^ love that tune. Pac all day baby!

Comment

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...or-the-wizards

ya, gilberts done at least as a wizard his contract is officially voidable ending any speculation of the wizards keeping him. most likely any ways.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Yup. The Wiz will definitely be voiding that contract. Let the fire sale begin!

Comment

Arenas made a very stupid mistake but no one got hurt and I think a team will be quick to sign him after all the implications of his current situation plays out.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Arenas made a very stupid mistake but no one got hurt and I think a team will be quick to sign him after all the implications of his current situation plays out.
                                Wow, you really think Arena's will find a new team that easily Apollo? In terms of coming back to the league, I liken the situation to the whole Michael Vick one. I believe the majority of teams will be reluctant to take on Arenas once he is cleared to come back-for fear of PR repercussions.

Comment

Working...
                                X