Colangelo. Rebuild For a Shot at This Guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo. Rebuild For a Shot at This Guy

I'm a big raps fan, but I hope bosh leaves and they get a shot at this guy in the next draft. Projected 2nd overall (for now). I'm calling him to be number 1 360 days from now. Watch the highlights if you're not convinced. I'm crossing my fingers for a 20 win season. Starting Calderon, Turk, Ed davis and Bargnani should do the job.

Perry Jones
    BAYLOR
    SF/PF
    6'11 220 LBS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxsxSe1YTo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NITMcVLpEOI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OadA5Wm6ISU

He's nice, but at this point this is the guy you want...
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/harrison-barnes
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He looked pretty good in the video.

Rivals however only ranks him #3 among 2010 freshman Power Forwards behind #1 Ennes Kantor and #2 Tobias Harris bound for TN.

Watch Ennes Kantor 17 year old from Turkey break Dirk's scoring record in the the Nike Hoops Summit. Most of his 34 points here were in the paint. Kanter is going to KY in the fall.

Enes Kanter 2010 Nike Hoop Summit highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzbhAQGPqk

Here is another video of him shooting from the outside

Enes Kanter proves he is better than any other player in his age group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk66SyQzTJo
      Last edited by Buddahfan; Tue Jun 29, 2010, 01:51 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I agree with Tim.W
        The man you want is Barnes

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          He's nice, but at this point this is the guy you want...
          http://www.nbadraft.net/players/harrison-barnes
          Barnes is nice but Mr. Irving is the creator that is desperatly needed on a Raps squad with no shot creators.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxZrFy6Uw3I

Comment

Rivals ranks this guy #1 of all incoming 2010-11 freshmen.

Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
            Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

We need to get a feel for what we have in Davis before going PF again. Barnes looks pretty smooth. I am always a little leery about these videos because they thoroughly accentuate the positive...and rightly so but there is work to be done on personality and defensive commitment etc etc

Is there a standout pg in the class?

Comment

I've watched many drafts and seen many all stars and busts come and go and I've formulated 2 simple rules that will weed out all the potential busts near the top of the draft. Unfortunately Kanter and Josh Selby fit both criteria

1. Never draft a euro big man in the top half (1-7) of the lottery. It never works out and have yet to be proven wrong (Dirk went 9th btw)

2. Never draft a combo guard unless you are looking for a sixth man (ie Jamal Crawford)
                Guys like Russell Westbrook are the exception but 9 times out of 10 they disappoint if taken high. Unfortunately Selby is just that, a small shooting guard playing the point. At least for now, he could improve his point skills in Kansas but I doubt he'll do that in one season as it seems all high school prospects declare after just one season
                Last edited by ibzilla; Tue Jun 29, 2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  We need to get a feel for what we have in Davis before going PF again. Barnes looks pretty smooth. I am always a little leery about these videos because they thoroughly accentuate the positive...and rightly so but there is work to be done on personality and defensive commitment etc etc

Is there a standout pg in the class?
                  Kyrie Irving maybe.....He should stay a couple of years in school. Unless they have John Wall-like type of ability or is a scorer instead of a passer coming out early as a pg usually is a bad idea for teams to draft high.

As for drafting another PF despiting having Davis, you should always draft the best talent available regardless of position. Would you pass on Kevin Durant if you had Paul Pierce on your team for example. At the very least you have an asset to be traded.
                  Ed Davis looks like Al Horford 2.0 anyways. A 12-10 guy at best.

As for Barnes, he does look more polished than Jones but isn't a mismatch at any position he plays. Doesn't look quick enough to be a SG, probably will be a 3 in the NBA. We will find out this season how good of a shooter he'll be because unless he's a lights out shooter like Durant was, he'll be ordinary in the NBA.

The reason I think Perry Jones will be the number 1 draft pick is because 6'11 players who can handle the ball and are athletic are pretty rare. Offensively he'll be unstoppable at the 4 as few players in can keep up with him (ie Bosh 8 FT pg) or put him at the 3 and he'll just shoot over anyone (ex Durant). His ceiling looks real high, reminds me of KG. A lot of ppl get compared to KG nowadays and its an unfair comparison. 6'11 guys who can dribble the ball like a guard are pretty rare and few and far between. I can think of only a handful of players who had that type of ability the last being Bosh (which turned out pretty good)

Just for reference..KG in high school, skinny PF with skill
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp_SzdYd2gs

Comment

ibzilla wrote: View Post
                    I've watched many drafts and seen many all stars and busts come and go and I've formulated 2 simple rules that will weed out all the potential busts near the top of the draft. Unfortunately Kanter and Josh Selby fit both criteria

1. Never draft a euro big man in the top half (1-7) of the lottery. It never works out and have yet to be proven wrong (Dirk went 9th btw)

2. Never draft a combo guard unless you are looking for a sixth man (ie Jamal Crawford)
                    Guys like Russell Westbrook are the exception but 9 times out of 10 they disappoint if taken high. Unfortunately Selby is just that, a small shooting guard playing the point. At least for now, he could improve his point skills in Kansas but I doubt he'll do that in one season as it seems all high school prospects declare after just one season
                    1) Pau Gasol was Top 3 I believe.

2) It depends on your definition of combo guard. I think D Wade is a combo guard, same with Jason Terry, G. Arenas, Monta Ellis, etc. Not every single one is a superstar (except for Wade) but they're all good players.

Comment

Didn't the Knickerbockers take Gallinari at 6? I think he's decent enough already and he's only going to get better. I'd take him over Bargs at this point.

Comment

santimo wrote: View Post
                        1) Pau Gasol was Top 3 I believe.

2) It depends on your definition of combo guard. I think D Wade is a combo guard, same with Jason Terry, G. Arenas, Monta Ellis, etc. Not every single one is a superstar (except for Wade) but they're all good players.
                        1. Would Pau Gasol be in your top 3 if he wasn't playing in LA? Pau was a different player before LA and he even admits so. He was a soft PF after the 2008 Finals before he evolved to a top 3 player that he is now. He's probably an exception but its pretty safe to say that 31 teams don't have a Kobe and a Phil Jackson and unless you have those two, its a safe rule.

2. My definition of a combo guard is a shooting guard playing the point because he is unable to defend the 2 usually because of size. D-Wade doesn't fall into that category because although he handles the ball a lot, he's 6'5 and is an All-NBA first team defender. Yes, Terry, Ellis, and Gilbert fall into that category but would you select any of those players top pick? BTW Terry comes off the bench, Ellis and Gilbert are both on the trading block due to the fact that their counterparts (Curry, Wall) are true point guards. And none can defend either

Comment

ibzilla wrote: View Post

A playmaking point guard, Selby averaged 32 points, seven assists, five rebounds and two steals for Baltimore's Lake Clifton High School last season.
                          I don't know where you come from but in my book any kid that can average 7 assists a game in high school, games only 32 minutes long, can distribute the rock good enough to be a point guard.

Here are John Wall's numbers by comparison in his last year in high school.

High School
                          Averaged 22.1 points, 5.5 assists, 5.2 rebounds, 2.0 steals per game his senior season .
                          http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-...ll_john00.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5266004

As far as Kanter goes. If he can turn out as good as Dirk that would work for me at any number pick in the draft.

Comment

oh for god sakes we haven'te even started this off season yet adn you are already talking about the next one. have we givin up all hope?
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              I don't know where you come from but in my book any kid that can average 7 assists a game in high school, games only 32 minutes long, can distribute the rock good enough to be a point guard.

Here are John Wall's numbers by comparison in his last year in high school.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-...ll_john00.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5266004

As far as Kanter goes. If he can turn out as good as Dirk that would work for me at any number pick in the draft.
                              High school stats are extremely misleading if trying to scout a player due to the uneven level of competition. Dejuan Wagner, ex point guard of the Cavs once scored 100 points in a high school game and couldn't score in the NBA.
                              The same scouts that ranked Josh Selby #1 called him a combo guard.
                              http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballre...5JjmQw_qPVO5B4
                              Yes, he can be a true point guard but thats a skill he needs to learn with 2-3 years of college but most of these top prospects are one and done which doesn't give enough time for the player to develop properly.

As for Kanter, he could be good by next season but let's compare the three on a basic level.
                              Kanter- 6'9 Center who's game extends to the 3 point line.
                              Dirk- 7 foot PF with a smooth jumper
                              Perry Jones- 6'11 athletic SF/PF who dribbles like a guard.
                              Size matters in the NBA, how many 6'9 centers are dominating right now

Comment

Working...
                              X