Is 2009 the GOAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 2009 the GOAT?

Jury’s still out: Jordan Hill, Terrance Williams, Tyler Hansbrough, Austin Daye, James Johnson, Wayne Ellington, Dante Cunningham, Sam Young, Toney Douglas

That’s 9 rookies who haven’t really gotten a chance. Nevertheless, this group has looked relatively good when given playing time.

Role players: James Harden, Demar Derozan, Ty Lawson, Eric Maynor, Omri Casspi, Rodrigue Beaubois, Jonas Jerebko, Marcus Thornton (My personal favorite), Jrue Holiday, Chase Budinger, Taj Gibson

There’s 11 rooks having an impact as role players. 8/11 are even on solid teams. These are the guys that ultimately will make this draft class the best ever. It’s the depth that’s important here. These are 11 players who you want on your team. If you haven’t seen Marcus Thornton play you’re missing out. This guy will average 25 points a game very soon. By the way, he was the 43rd pick.

Impact players: Jonny Flynn, Dejaun Blair, Darren Collison

Flynn has been incredibly impressive on a terrible team, with an inexperienced coach, and a joke of a GM. Blair dropped in the draft for having no ACLs and has been punishing teams ever since. He’s averaging nearly 17 points and 14 rebounds per 40 minutes. As for Collison, some NBA players have been quoted as saying he’s just as good as Paul. He’s averaging about 18.5 points and 9 assists per game as a starter. He’s kept his team relevant in the Western Conference.

Stars: Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings
    That’s 17 players who are establishing themselves their rookie year and 9 talented rookies waiting for their chance down the stretch. I can’t remember ever seeing potential from 26 different rookies 3/4 of the way through their 1st year.

Still not satisfied? Then you’re probably forgetting about Blake Griffin, the 1st overall pick and the best player in the draft by far.
    Griffin blocks the shot off the backboard, grabs the rebound, hits the point guard with the outlet to start the break, sprints the floor, catches the ball 3 steps inside the foul line, and tomahawks the dunk. How many guys in the league can do that? Lebron and who else? He’s going to be unbelievable. Not even the Clipper stink can ruin his career. They played it right having him sit out the season. He’ll be fine next year.
    Some forget about Griffin, but everyone forgets that Rubio is part of this class. Rubio is the type of player that would be on SportsCenter top 10 nightly.
    Forget about star power for a second. I understand there will never be a draft that has 4 superstars in the 1st 5 picks. But you have to see past that with this years group. This draft will make the league better all around for a decade. Teams are going to become deeper because of the excess talent. There are so many rookies making an impact that almost every team has one. This class holds its own against the 2003 draft and the 1996 draft classes without its best player and #1 pick. Its 2nd pick is a bust and the its 2nd best player (potentially) is overseas. The fact that I can even make an argument for this years class with all these missing pieces says it all. It’s about depth. And no draft comes close in that regard.
    NYblog.com

Excellent read. I think I will check back with this guy again sometime because I really enoyed this one. How do you all feel about this draft class. It's early but where would you rank it right now?

When the draft was going on i really didnt tink it was a strong draft class
    But its no doubt that the Rooks have had their presence felt
    I think Rubio will be the best player out of the draft when its all said and done
    The class has a chance to be special

Comment

Does anyone know if there is another rookie other than the Evans, Curry, Jennings, Fynn & Collison (oddly all pgs the most demanding of pos.) and of course our own DD ...who starts for their teams? There is no way DD compares to the other starters in terms of contribution/importance to their teams. I am actually a bit disappointed about his progress thru the year having been given a starting pos. since day one. Hope there is progress once next season comes around.

Comment

I agree, at first I didn't believe that this draft class was that great, but looking at that article, it opened my eyes to the fact that a lot of decent players cam into the league this year.

By the way, 4 superstars were in the first 5 picks of the '03 Draft class:
        LeBron James - 1st Pick
        Carmelo Anthony - 3rd Pick
        Chris Bosh - 4th Pick
        Dwyane Wade - 5th Pick

Comment

Yeah, the writer touches on the class of '03 in the article.

Comment

Still too early to tell, I would wait to the end of 2012 (3 seasons) to evaluate this claim.

Hopefully by then DD will be averaging around 16-18 points a game with room to improve.

Comment

Our rookie rocks! Now, if he can only hit a three...

Comment

Great read, but I agree; too soon to tell.

PS. Washington has our backs. They're taking the Bobcats to O.T. as we speak
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once you reach Max Level, you stop leveling

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

dn66 wrote: View Post
                  Our rookie rocks! Now, if he can only hit a three...
                  I don't think I want him shooting the three. At least, not at this point or in the near future.

The most we can ask right now is consistent effort and aggressiveness going to the rim. And to stand out a bit more on the defensive end.

Scott.
                  Don't hate me because I'm an optimist.

Comment

This argument is ridiculous.
                    1984 - Jordan, Stockton, Barkley, Olajuwon, etc. 4 HOF's 3 MVP's, 7 Allstars
                    1996 - Kobe, Nash, Iverson, Ray Allen, Peja, Jermaine O'Neil, Marbury, Camby, etc. 3MVP's 13 Allstars
                    2003 - Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Josh Howard, David West, etc. 1MVP 8 Allstars
                    2009 Draft class wont even be the greatest of it's decade let alone all time.
                    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

No way. I think last year's draft class was solid, but the jury's still out on a lot of these guys. Im not sold on Evans or Jennings. I think the draft class has a lot of nice, solid role players, but I only see a few perennial All-Stars.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                      X