Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC: "We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft"

“We will be in a unique position with $12 million in cap space before the draft and before July 1 to entertain deals where significant contracts could come into play. You could move a player out with some value and take back a player with significant value even higher than that $12 million. If you package the pick along with a young player, what does that net you? All of those questions will be answered over the course of the next several weeks and months as Ed Stefanski and I entertain those phone calls from the various GMs and us placing phone calls to various GMs. We will have a lot of lines in the water.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/are-the-ra...team-next-year
    I have been thinking about this statement for a couple of days now and the types of players who could be a possible target under such thinking.

Lets make an assumption that young players BC speaks of on Raptors roster are 25 or under. That gives us a list of (2012-13 salaries in brackets): Amir Johnson ($6M), DeMar DeRozan ($3.3M), Ed Davis ($2.2M), and James Johnson ($2.8M).

Based on these comments, I am interpreting BC to suggest a big contract ($12M or more) coming back to Toronto is a possibility. With the $12M in cap space BC mentions, that gives the Raptors the opportunity to take on a contract up to $14.2M-$18M in any trading involving 1 young player and the draft pick (or just 1 player as the pick has no monetary value in a trade).

Looking around the league at players with contracts of $12M up to $18M who realistically could be had (i.e. LeBron James is not included nor is Kevin Durant) and the Raptors might actually want (in my opinion, add yours below), we get:

Atlanta: Josh Smith
    Chicago: Luol Deng
    Detroit: Ben Gordon (a pick would have to be coming with it, imo)
    Houston: Kevin Martin
    Indiana: Danny Granger
    Memphis: Rudy Gay
    New Orleans: Emeka Okafor (a pick would have to be coming with it, imo)
    Philadelpia: Andre Igoudala, Elton Brand (a pick(s) and/or young player would have to come with Elton Brand, imo)
    San Antonio: Tony Parker, Manu Ginobilli
    Utah: Al Jefferson
    Washington: Nene, Rashard Lewis ('only' $13M guaranteed next year and of course a pick would have to be coming back, imo)

The above shows what big contract players are out there. By no means does the inclusion above mean I think the Raptors can or should get that player - just showing the contracts out there that fits the assumption of BC's comments.

Also, multiple players coming back (saw 2 guys making $6-7M) in a trade and multi-team deals are not considered because that would be pretty much impossible to narrow down.

So any of the listed players seems worth a young player and possibly a pick?

Josh Smith is the answer to many of our problems. I worry about his locker room presence.
    Luol Deng isn't going anywhere but I would take him in a heart beat
    Ben Gordon frustrates me...I loved him in Chicago, why isn't he killing it in Detroit? I'd give him a chance though.
    Kevin Martin: Yes please and slide DD to the 3
    Danny Granger Yes please and keep DD at the 2. Likely not going anywhere though. Seems to be a huge part of what Indiana is doing
    Rudy Gay...I'd do it, likely not going anywhere though Randolph would be out before him.
    Okafor would be a fantastic stop gap for Valanciunas to learn behind or in front of I like this one
    Iggy yes Brand no unless Turner came with him and then we slid DD to the 3
    Parker and Ginobili nope unless Leonard came too...which wouldn't happen
    Al Jefferson...No
    Nene yes Lewis no...I'd take their pick but their young guys aren't going anywhere
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Does that mean we could trade Amir for Emeka straight up even if it doesn't work on ESPN NBA Trade Machine?

Comment

I would be ecstatic if we were able to have josh smith as a 3, bargs 4 and val at 5. Along with kleiza as a back up small forward amir as backup power forward (guessing ed davis would be in the deal somehow) and aaron gray as the backup center.
        Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Comment

Danny Granger wouln't surprise me at all. Paul George is a SF and the team has designs on Eric Gordon.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Some really good players there to solve our SF problem, a lot of avenues for BC to explore, a first round pick, a couple of second round picks, possible future draft picks, young tradable assets, and the $12 million in cap space, definitely a lot of flexibility, will be very interesting, and he sounds very confident.

Also, not on the list, but I wonder if BC can make a play for Rondo, he's being paid something like $55 million over 5 years, and I'm sure the Celtics are entertaining offers, just a thought, albeit probably an unrealistic one.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
              Does that mean we could trade Amir for Emeka straight up even if it doesn't work on ESPN NBA Trade Machine?
              I'm not sure the trade machine properly reflects the Barbosa trade.

As for your trade of Amir for Emeka, yes that could be done.

Comment

My hunch has been that BC will target Iggy or Granger and as much as I'd prefer the patient route, if BC is hell bent on adding a contract then I could live with either of them. Each would only have two years at most left on their deals and would bring exactly what the team needs at the 3 while meshing well with the existing talent.

The only question is the price. Can't see either Philly or Indiana giving them away for less than Ed Davis, the 8th pick and possibly James Johnson/Kleiza/2nd round pick. Not sure how I feel about that.

Comment

What about Lowry?
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I would be on board for Gay first, Iggy second. I like Okafor coming if we get a pick but the interviews with BC seem to indicate no to another pick.
                    Granger maybe, the rest no thanks.

Comment

Say hello to the new free agent signing.......Andrei Kirilenko! I give it about a 60% chance of happening.

Comment

Just went to the hoopshype site and what's the headline - Kirilenko close to signing with the Nets. Good news.

Comment

Aren't we assuming that BC would not use the cap space for a UFA (eg. Dragic, Ilyasova) or am I missing something?
                          Last edited by Bendit; Wed May 2, 2012, 10:53 PM.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                            What about Lowry?
                            I understand he is core player/untouchable on the Rockets.

Comment

I would have to go through a thorough list of NBA salaries to know who is reasonable to go after. But from your list the only one I'd be interested in is Rudy Gay. I highly doubt he is gettable.
                              I would consider going after Ilyasova, but that wouldn't require a trade. Signing Ersan would also allow us to maintain some level of financial flexibility, which can never be a bad thing for this rebuilding process.
                              Welp, that sucked.

Comment

Working...
                              X