Freeze the Raptors: A must purchase for Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze the Raptors: A must purchase for Toronto

MLSE has shown the commitment to investing in front office personnel and basketball-related staff (McKechnie immediately comes to mind given what comes next). Now they need this:

The Suns are freezing their players off the court so that they will move more freely on the court. Cryotherapy has entered the NBA vernacular, and the Suns are one of four teams to have a cryosauna in their facility for a chilling training approach.

With the franchise's $50,000 investment in the equipment, Suns players are stepping into a nitrogen gas cylindrical chamber that accelerates and intensifies a process previously left to 12 minutes in an ice bath.

The Suns still use ice baths but now have a mechanism that requires only three minutes of a dry freeze. Marcin Gortat compares it to walking outside in Poland in the winter.

Players, while standing, rotate every 30 seconds. Bursts of gas blow from the interior sides of the unit to surround the player's body, starting out at minus-166 degrees and quickly cooling to between minus-256 and minus-274. The machine is capable of dipping to minus-320.

The hyper-cold temperature shocks the body, sending it into "survival mode," Suns head athletic trainer Aaron Nelson said. The immune system prompts blood to rush away from the extremities to protect the vital organs in the player's core, where the blood is oxygen- and nutrient-enriched. Once the three minutes in the chamber ends, the body relaxes from the stress and sends the enriched blood to areas it is needed, such as fatigued muscles.

"We use it for muscle recovery to pump the blood through the body," Nelson said. "We're trying to re-energize or reboot the body. It gives you a feeling of being cold and jump-starts your metabolism to feel refreshed the rest of the day."

Nelson and his staff have players use the cold tub also because it treats acute swelling and chronic soreness well with deeper penetration.

Ice baths are normally a lower-body treatment but Steve Nash dips in them up to his shoulders.

Cryotherapy is a whole-body treatment with only the player's head sticking out of the chamber.

"I don't like the cold tub at all," said center Robin Lopez, who never took an ice bath but uses the Cryosauna once or twice a day.

"I suppose it (the Cryosauna) energizes me. It has the same effects as the cold tub just in a compressed time."

After forward Grant Hill's knee surgery in September, he often went privately to a Scottsdale facility with a Cryosauana, making him less nervous about entering the chamber than his teammates when the equipment was added to the training room two weeks ago.

"I get in after a game," Hill said. "It's helped me a lot on back-to-backs. I also get in there sometimes before games. It's definitely cutting edge and one of the new methods of recovery that I think, in five to 10 years, we'll see that lots of pro and college teams have it. I don't know exactly what it's doing to your body but I know when you get out, you just feel really good. I've tried it after games, mornings of back-to-backs before the second games and before games, and I get great results."

The Cryosauna is part of the athletic trainers' philosophy to be more about injury prevention than treatment. The Suns have missed the fewest games to injury (four) of any NBA team.

"We're the carpenters," Nelson said. "It (the Cryosauna) is just another tool in our toolbox. There may be objective or subjective benefits. The psychological piece of that is better than anything. It's more important when I get feedback from players saying, 'I feel better when I do this.'

"I think a lot of teams will have something like this, and we just didn't want to fall behind."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/arti...#ixzz1pTeZb0C7

Hopefully this is an investment the Raptors make to go along with McKechnie's training.

There are dangers if it is used improperly - ask Manny Harris. However, the key would be to use it properly i.e. no wet socks.

this is like something from a bad wesley snipes movie LOL

If it can get grant hill playing as many games as hes played in pheonix maybe it would work wonders for Jose... just make sure your tighty whiteys aren't sweaty before entering LOL

Comment

lol forget to take off wet socks, come out sliding on icecubes
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

But it may cause this...

Be careful what this team asks for...
        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Stuff like this is a part of the reason why I'm one of the few people that doesn't want Nash here. I feel that a large reason why he's still so effective is because of PHX's godly medical staff. And we simply aren't up to snuff in that regard.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Kidd, Vince, and Redick have all taken advantage of post-game ice baths in the past.

Tub + water + ice

No reason Raptors players can't take advantage of the theory without a fancy machine.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I'm pretty sure Kidd, Vince, and Redick have all taken advantage of post-game ice baths in the past.

Tub + water + ice

No reason Raptors players can't take advantage of the theory without a fancy machine.
              Have you ever taken an ice bath?

I can relate with Robin Lopez.... although I still took them.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

Tub + water + ice

Why use a tub with water and ice?
                I prefer beer + snow

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Have you ever taken an ice bath?
                  Not intentionally but yes.

Comment

With how the curative powers were described (shocking the system into a compressed time method of rejuvenating muscles and blood flow) I wonder if any studies/tests have been done to find out about the long term effects of it's usage. The short term seems to be beneficial.

Comment

Although there haven't been any definitive U.S. studies on cryotherapy's effectiveness, Millennium ICE is doing well and the machine is gaining traction. The Mavericks used it last season and the Houston Rockets and the San Antonio Spurs just bought machines that cost $50,000 each. That's why company CEO Eric Rauscher doesn't want other athletes to miss the waiver warnings about wet clothes.
                      I'd be surprised if the raptors don't get one in the next year. Considering what players make, 50k is not very expensive.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Four games missed to injury is freakin insane!
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                          Four games missed to injury is freakin insane!
                          Especially considering they rely so heavily on two of the oldest players in the league in Nash and Hill. Very impressive stats.

Comment

I remembered reading that the Mavericks used this technology during their championship run. I was able to dig up some articles:

link:
                            http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,wp6463

Excerpts from the article:

Dirk Nowitzki, Tyson Chandler, Jason Kidd, Jason Terry, Shawn Marion and Brian Cardinal (who drove the group there, I suspect) all repeatedly schlepped to Plano, Texas, during the team's two-month postseason run to take part in cryogenic therapy. The Mavericks stripped to their skivvies at this facility and stepped inside a 6-foot-tall silo of sorts that would whir around
                            For 2 1/2 minutes -- at a cost of $75 per person, billed to Mavs owner Mark Cuban -- blasts of nitrogen-chilled air emanated from the walls, quickly dropping the air temperature to as low as -320 degrees Fahrenheit. By the last 30 to 45 seconds, their bodies would be shaking uncontrollably.

"The first time Shawn did it, I thought he was going to jump out after 30 seconds," Terry says. "He was yelling, 'My nipples are about to fall off!'"
                            and a quote from the original ESPN insider's Ric Bucher:

Then in the Finals, Kidd had to defend Dwyane Wade, arguably the most athletic 2-guard in the league, and James, arguably the most athletic player in the league. Kidd gives a big nod to cryotherapy. "I can't take it quite as cold as some of the others," he says. "But it still worked."

Other NBAers, including Manu Ginobili and Kobe Bryant, have also tried the procedure. There are now about 10 cryosaunas in the U.S., including one on the Nike campus near Portland, Ore. -- convenient for Kidd and Co., considering the Trail Blazers were the Mavs' first-round opponent.

"It gave us a tremendous edge, not only physically but psychologically," Terry says. "I don't know if it was a team-bonding thing, but it's something that came up every day. We'd plan on getting together and hitting it. It became a ritual."

Comment

Science man

Comment

Working...
                              X