Tyreke Evans Named in a Wrongful-Death Civil Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyreke Evans Named in a Wrongful-Death Civil Suit

Tyreke Evans, the Sacramento Kings' rookie point guard, and his cousin are among four men who have been named in a wrongful-death civil suit filed in Delaware County.

The family of Marcus Reason, who was killed by Jamar Evans, Tyreke's cousin, in November 2007 in a drive-by shooting, is asking for a judgment in excess of $50,000.

In January 2009, Jamar Evans pleaded guilty to third-degree murder and weapons offenses. He was sentenced to nine to 20 years for murder and other weapons charges. He also received eight years of probation.

Jamar Evans was 16 when he pulled a gun and fired from the passenger side of a Ford Expedition driven by Tyreke Evans. Reason, a Chester Township resident, died after being shot in the chest. A month later, Jamar Evans turned himself in. Police suspect the incident might have been gang-related.

No gun was ever found with Reason. There was no evidence he ever fired a gun, according to prosecutors.

At the time of the shooting, the two Evans cousins and two friends, Rasheen Blackwell and Dwayne Davis, had just finished watching a football game and were leaving a house in the 1500 block of Rainer Road in Chester Township. They were headed to eat fresh-baked pie at Tyreke Evans' home.

Tyreke Evans drove off immediately after the gunfire. He was not charged in the crime, and police said he cooperated in their investigation.

Reason was working two jobs - as a cook and for a limousine company - and had plans to go to school, his family said.
    Philly.com

Stern has his hands full these days with league image damage control. Yikes...

How in the hell did 'Reke not get charged being the driver in a drive by murder shooting?!

Comment

God that sucks. I seriously don't understand why people aren't smart enough to know that they should help out with shit like this. It's like his cousin came up to him " Yo we gotta go kill some dude. " "Aight I'll drive" WTF
      Last name ever, first name greatest

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
        How in the hell did 'Reke not get charged being the driver in a drive by murder shooting?!
        He probably said he had no idea it was going to happen and the rest supported that story. That could even be true, he could be innocent of wrong doing... My gut tells me that's not the case though.

Comment

When suing in a civil action (and this is civil, i.e. Tyreke is not charged criminally) you name anyone and everyone that could possibly be involved. Furthermore, Tyreke has the most amount of money, and therefore can pay out the highest damages.

Comment

Wonder if the numbers are accurate? 50k in damages from a NBA player (not to mention a high first round pick and soon star player)? The suing party are either getting bad advice or have no idea about TE's ability to pay.

Comment

The point of suing is to recap financial losses and to potentially be compensated for the mental anguish caused by the person who wronged you. The fact that Tyreke makes a lot of money is not a factor in determining the damages caused, its a factor in determining the payout.

Comment

Why does this not surprise me at all in the NBA the official league of hoods? Some of my friends have actually given up on basketball because of the types of people it employs as players ( Arenas, Delonte West, etc. etc,
                I love the actual game way too much but truth is it's full of hoods

Comment

Wait, he was driving the getaway car and he's not being charged for it??!! Am I understanding this correctly?

Comment

I think you're reading it correctly.

Comment

Apollo, to my knowledge, the amount asked for in litigation is made with many considerations with the ability to pay by the defendant being one (as a matter of practicality/reality if nothing else). A judge or jury of course makes the final determination but I dont believe there is a cap other than being completely insane about the amount....and thus jeopardizing the suit itself as being frivolous. This is very much a case of wrongful death where TE was the driver of a vehicle from which shots were fired which caused the death. The earning potential itself of the deceased (over a lifetime) and the potential for him sharing/helping family members would exceed easily the 50k being sued for. Lets put it this way....I am surprised because an amount far exceeding this would be chump change for TE considering his earning potential going forward...and it would be in his interest to settle quickly.

Comment

Sounds to me like Tyerke's cousin is just taking the fall for Tyreke's involvement and will get his dues when he leaves prison in 9 to 20 years.

Tyreke is dirty.

Comment

The suit says “Tyreke Evans’ conduct was outrageous and malicious, with an absolute disregard for the health, safety and welfare of Marcus Allen Reason.”

Peter W. Dicce, an attorney for the Reasons, said a number of decisions made that day resulted in the death of Marcus Reason, including which direction Tyreke Evans chose to drive.

“The driver, who was Tyreke Evans, chose to stop the car, allowed his cousin to put the window down, and allowed a gun to be drawn,” Patrick S. Mintzer said. “Anyone at some point in time could have said no.”
                          OTRsportsonline.com

Anyone hear anything new about this? This clip was from February. I want to know how this thing is going to turn out.

Comment

Working...
                          X