Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Trade Deadline: Lesson learned today? Don't trust Casey (462)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Celtics headlines lately have really got me thinking...
    - they have a window of maybe 1-3 years to realistically contend with their big-3
    - they haven't been happy with Rondo and apparently he's been on the block
    - they need big men
    - they need to get younger, so they aren't left with garbage when the big-3 retire

Given those points above, I wonder if they might be open to a trade like this... and wonder what Raptors fans would think:

To Boston
    - Calderon (veteran PG who would be awesome with the big-3)
    - Amir (good young big who could play PF/C, fits the Boston-big mold and is effective running P&R with Calderon)
    - DeRozan (gives them young wing, who they have coveted in the past)
    - 1st round pick in 2013 or 2014 draft

To Toronto
    - Rondo (PG of the future for the Raptors)
    - Wilcox (expiring contract needed just to balance salaries)
    - Bradley (young SG who the Raps liked in the 2010 draft, who is also needed to balance salaries)

The Raptors could sign Chandler and draft Barnes/MKG in the upcoming draft, minimizing the impact of losing DeRozan.

The Raptors lineup could potentially look something like this next season
    C: Valanciunas, Gray (or Andersen if some sort of deal goes down with Denver)
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Kleiza
    SF: Barnes/MKG, JJ, Kleiza
    SG: Chandler, Bradley, Forbes
    PG: Rondo, Bayless/???

Comment

• RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      I agree, Bayless is a scoring guard, and whoever they get to back him up will not be better than Bayless in giving the ball to others. There are only a couple of true point guards left, and one coming in the draft very rarely i.e Ricky Rubio.

Keep Jose, unless we get a very good deal in that sense, but let him retire here, let him retire his jersey. He's one of the only elite point guards left in the league. Him, Rondo, Paul, Nash, Kidd are basically the only guys left in this league, that can get everyone the ball, and continue to do their thing.
      Nash will want to be paid fair market value.

He also wants a chance to compete.

If Calderon is traded for expirings or cap space and Chandler signed, the Raptors go in to the off season with enough cap space to outbid the contenders and enough talent to offer more of an opportunity to win than Phoenix.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        Nash will want to be paid fair market value.

He also wants a chance to compete.

If Calderon is traded for expirings or cap space and Chandler signed, the Raptors go in to the off season with enough cap space to outbid the contenders and enough talent to offer more of an opportunity to win than Phoenix.
        True, and I think Nash would be willing to be built with a team unsuccessful for a year and than trying to chase the playoffs, plus Nash is a much better player than Calderon. Than with Bayless backing him up, and a late 1st round pick for Kabongo? Man, that would be fun. But, I think we can honestly say this is a dream? You can get it, but you'll have to work your ass off for it to happen.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• 2011-12 NBA Trade Tracker

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2347387/

Could be useful in the next week!

Comment

• Sounds like the Lakers could use a good PG - know of any?

"Our offense is a read-based offense -- it's up to our point guards to get the ball in different spots,'' Brown was saying Wednesday following the Lakers' 96-91 over the champion Mavericks. "There's no way, without a training camp, after the first week of the season that I could sit back and say, 'Guys, go figure it out.' Because they don't know it.

"Not only do they not know it,'' he admitted of his opening weeks in charge of the Lakers, "I'm not sure, based on the personnel, if this is the right stuff for us.

"I keep the play cards and I make one up almost every game. My play card from the first two weeks of the season is completely different from what it is now. It's funny, because all this stuff came out recently.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1nESZQO6Y

"These sheets right here, I started giving these to my point guards,'' said Brown. "These sheets are early reads, meaning this is for you guys to digest during the flow of the game so I don't have to call plays.

"Now what we have to get better at is this right here -- in-the-game plays,'' he said, pointing to the latter four plays. "This I give to my point guards so that they can get a feel.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1nESzHZFX

"The reality of it -- and this is not a knock on our players at all -- if you got Chris Paul, you say, 'Chris Paul, go get us a good shot.' Play pick-and-roll and Chris Paul is going to set you up. You got Tony Parker? Go get us a good shot. (Russell) Westbrook, go get something.

"We are an execution team,'' continued Brown. "It's not a knock on Steve Blake, it's not a knock on Derek Fisher. They're not breaking it down and playing pick-and-roll, so what we have to do is we have to be an execution team. What does that mean?''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1nETBxige

Comment

I think there's been lots of pining for a Calderon trade to the Lakers for their 1st round pick. Unfortunately, the TPE they have is too small and there's no way I'd want BC to take back the salary they could offer (Walton/Blake/Fisher). There would have to be another team involved that is willing to take on salary from the Lakers, which would likely require at least a 2nd round pick going their way as a 'thank you' (interesting to note that the Lakers did get an additional 2nd round pick from Dallas in the Odom trade).

I wonder if they'd have any interest in Bayless? He'd be an upgrade over Blake/Fisher and would potentially be an expiring contract that they could let go at the end of the season. I doubt they'd give up their 1st round pick for him, but perhaps Morris and/or a 2nd round pick?

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I think there's been lots of pining for a Calderon trade to the Lakers for their 1st round pick. Unfortunately, the TPE they have is too small and there's no way I'd want BC to take back the salary they could offer (Walton/Blake/Fisher). There would have to be another team involved that is willing to take on salary from the Lakers, which would likely require at least a 2nd round pick going their way as a 'thank you' (interesting to note that the Lakers did get an additional 2nd round pick from Dallas in the Odom trade).

I wonder if they'd have any interest in Bayless? He'd be an upgrade over Blake/Fisher and would potentially be an expiring contract that they could let go at the end of the season. I doubt they'd give up their 1st round pick for him, but perhaps Morris and/or a 2nd round pick?
                Trades aren't limited to 2 teams. It makes it harder but it is doable.

I agree on LA alone. There is nothing on their roster to make the trade work that I would give up Calderon for. They have a lot of bad contracts.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

In my opinion, Bayless is better than Blake and Fischer but unfortunately, he is not good at reading defenses and thus I doubt the Lakers would have much interest in him.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    In my opinion, Bayless is better than Blake and Fischer but unfortunately, he is not good at reading defenses and thus I doubt the Lakers would have much interest in him.
                    I agree, I like Bayless but he's a scoring guard. His first option is shot first, pass second.

They need a pick & roll guy that can keep the defense honest and make a shot, dish it, and or find the players the shots they need, which Calderon is one of the best at. Especially his pick & roll offense, he and Amir are dangerous in the pick & roll. Imagine him with Bynum/Gasol?! Goodness. Plus he can get Kobe so much more easier looks. It'd be fun to watch, and really help out L.A, plus Calderon is a good system defender, notice I said SYSTEM.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• Houston would be a good partner to have in making a deal with LA. Apparently they still have the hots for Gasol (see failed CP trade) so as part of a menage a trois we could aim for pieces that would be going to LA for Gasol like Houston's or NY's 1st which they have and someone else (Dragic & expiring salary).

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                        Houston would be a good partner to have in making a deal with LA. Apparently they still have the hots for Gasol (see failed CP trade) so as part of a menage a trois we could aim for pieces that would be going to LA for Gasol like Houston's or NY's 1st which they have and someone else (Dragic & expiring salary).
                        Supposedly Lowry and Scola for Gasol would get a deal done. Houston apparently is not interested in trading Lowry - I don't blame them.

Considering they are tying their wagon to Gasol, I wonder if they would entertain receiving Calderon if they gave up Lowry. Personally, I wouldn't but, as you said, they do have the hots for Gasol and Morey is going to be desperate soon I think.

Comment

Supposedly Lowry and Scola for Gasol would get a deal done. Houston apparently is not interested in trading Lowry - I don't blame them.

Considering they are tying their wagon to Gasol, I wonder if they would entertain receiving Calderon if they gave up Lowry. Personally, I wouldn't but, as you said, they do have the hots for Gasol and Morey is going to be desperate soon I think.
                          And we mustnt forget that Houston doesnt like Kevin Martin anymore!! Like I said, there are possibilities there to be creative.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
                            And we mustnt forget that Houston doesnt like Kevin Martin anymore!! Like I said, there are possibilities there to be creative.
                            http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=7npv9sy

Something like this is what I was thinking - different pieces easily sent to Toronto. Toronto then has $4.1M extra to add to the $4.3M of cap space. They can make a play on Chandler (but hopefully not for $8.4M).

Comment

I don't like what the Lakers could/would offer. Calderon is worth more than that above deal. I don't think it's wise to pull the trigger on something just to have a shot at Chandler. We're not talking about a Superstar here. If he guarantees he'll sign then sign me up.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                                I don't like what the Lakers could/would offer. Calderon is worth more than that above deal. I don't think it's wise to pull the trigger on something just to have a shot at Chandler. We're not talking about a Superstar here. If he guarantees he'll sign then sign me up.
                                Like I said somewhere above, I would not do a trade with LA alone for Calderon. They have nothing to offer to benefit Toronto.

Essentially the trade I suggested to Bendit would have NY's pick coming from Houston and 2 picks from LA to HOU.

I don't think the issue is with WC guaranteeing to sign, I think it is about Denver matching.

If WC didn't end up here, at least the Raptors have now cleared $10.5M off the books for next season. The ESPN trade machine does not show it, but Houston did not pick up the options of Flynn, Thabeet, Hill, or Williams for next season - they are all expiring.

*And remember, cap space is for more than free agency*

*EDIT*

I said this in another thread but signing Chandler, on a reasonable contract, also creates another trade asset this summer for something much larger - and for once I am not talking anything specific like a 'happy' trade.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Feb 23, 2012, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X