Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorpe: Alabi is better then Joel Anthony

Here's a quick recap on Solo's section (from 12:30):
    - In two years or a year from now he would be able to play as the starting centre for the Miami Heat...and they would win.
    - As good as Joel Anthony defensively, better shot, better hands.
    - Alabi is working out in his gym.
    - NBA players who had seen him last year were surprised at the different player he has become this year
    - Significantly improved from last year athletically.
    - Watched Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol tapes to model game after
    - They want him to make a living in front of the rim using his size and create space.
    - Alabi has a chance to be able to do that but also be a better shooter.
    - Soloman destroyed some of the guys who are being drafted this year.
    - He's gotten stronger
    - He loves the game but Thorpe is not sure if he loves it enough
    - He's working harder than most guys
    - Hasheem thabeet was supposed to workout with Thorpe but he isn't there. Solo is more developed than him.
    - Think Solo can become a starting centre a year or two down the road or at least become a really good backup on a good team.
    - Alabi is not a good fit with Bargs because he likes to pick and pop.

You can listen to the interview here ==> http://raptorsrepublic.com/2011/06/2...rs-basketball/
    Edit
    Last edited by Doc; Mon Jun 27, 2011, 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed link seeing how interview was conducted by us.

This sounds encouraging. I'm routing for Solo. He has a great story and seems like a very nice guy. I hope he works out.
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

If he gets stronger and add a lil more beef in him, can u guys imagine solo/val as our centers! I like it!!

Comment

That is encouraging. I'm not going to lie here but I have/had written him off. I'll take the line "I'll believe it when I see it" because, quite frankly, last year was awful on so many levels.

I hope he does become a good NBA player and the Raptors have their backup C of the future.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          That is encouraging. I'm not going to lie here but I have/had written him off. I'll take the line "I'll believe it when I see it" because, quite frankly, last year was awful on so many levels.

I hope he does become a good NBA player and the Raptors have their backup C of the future.
          He has the body/ he sees to have the desire and most importantly (unlike Ajinca) he knows his role if he wants to make a living in the NBA. My hunch is he is a player.
          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
            He has the body/ he sees to have the desire and most importantly (unlike Ajinca) he knows his role if he wants to make a living in the NBA. My hunch is he is a player.
            I agree on all counts.

I like him and I would love to see him succeed, and do so here.

Comment

Hmm...I dunno about this. Thorpe practically creamed his pants about this guy exactly a year ago. Then, when we actually saw the guy, he looked like the leaning fricking tower of pizza out there. Reminded me of the kind of guy you'd see in your pickup game that you'd steer clear of because he wasn't in control of his body. Crazy unathletic, gangly, ssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllow as molasses, looked like he was about to fall over half the time. So, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Agreed. This was a very surprising interview and I go into Solo's fan club with skepticism.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
                  Hmm...I dunno about this. Thorpe practically creamed his pants about this guy exactly a year ago. Then, when we actually saw the guy, he looked like the leaning fricking tower of pizza out there. Reminded me of the kind of guy you'd see in your pickup game that you'd steer clear of because he wasn't in control of his body. Crazy unathletic, gangly, ssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllow as molasses, looked like he was about to fall over half the time. So, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.
                  Nah thats Hedo.

But I agree. Want this guy to become a success but man he looked beyond terrible last year. Plus a guy like Thorpe has to sell his services does he not? He won't have a job for long if he tries to sell one guy as a great player, and next year says no he sucks I can't do anything with him.

No matter how uninspiring Ajinca was last year... he looks like Kareem after seeing Alabi play. Believe it when we see it is a good policy with Alabi.

Comment

Alabi looked pretty bad last season however part of drafting him was that he was raw but with the potential to improve quickly; he had high upside. Based on what the article is saying, he's improving quickly. This is very good news. With any luck there will be some controversy this season with him pushing the vet center they sign for PT.

Comment

Thorpe spent all his time running down Kanter and talking up Alibi. Now seriously. Kanter may never turn into an all star but which raw talent would you prefer to start out with. It was more than him having an agenda, it was like you were hearing a commercial. Alibi might have improved but in my opinion Thorpe has zero credibility.
                      Last edited by meductic; Sun Jun 26, 2011, 02:26 PM.

Comment

If Alabi turns into a solid bench player then he's a steal at #50.

Comment

I am not sure about this Thorpe guy. Everyone calls him "coach" and his wiki bio says only that he was an asst. coach at a high school. He runs a for profit off season training gym. Is Joel Anthony taking part in it? In defense of Alabi and I didnt know this but the man had a knee procedure done last year which may have contributed I am sure to his horrible lope up and down the floor and lateral movement trying to cover/switch. And whats with these guys wanting to step out and pop. Hope Casey has a better method of convincing these big boys to do what is most important from the centre position...especially on this team. Scream. I suppose if your starting C does not do as above ...why should the backups...right? Culture change and playing the right way coming up I hope.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            If Alabi turns into a solid bench player then he's a steal at #50.
                            agreed, he has the length to be a good player
                            ya dun noe

Comment

One more reason not to chase/overpay for a bigger-name C, just get a cheaper vet because there are some decent options. No need to rush things, especially if this season can serve to gauge internal development. As they say, "you can't teach height" and if Alabi can develop at least as a solid backup, Apollo's right on the money. Big. Time. Steal. We'd have to send some thank you flowers to Masai out in Denver.

Comment

Working...
                              X