TPE Extension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TPE Extension?

With the collective bargaining agreement set to expire in about a month and no real signs of progress, a likely lockout has left the Cavs in a predicament with their trade exception.
    The Cavs have petitioned the league to have the final nine days tacked on to the new season. If granted, it would give the Cavs nine days after the lockout was lifted to use whatever part of the exception they had remaining. But the Cavs have no idea whether or not the league will grant the request, and they don't expect to hear an answer from the league until after the lockout is lifted.
    Source: RealGM.com

If the Cavs get the extension then obviously it applies to the Raptors who are in the same boat with their TPE. It would be a great flexibility to have entering into FA after the lockout. In my opinion it seems like the right thing for the league to do too by the way. Why should the Cavs and Raptors suffer because of a labor dispute?

It would be a coup of epic proportions for any team with a large TPE to be able to hold onto it for over a week after a new CBA comes in to effect.

Comment

The reason why they're asking for nine days is because the LeBron James S&T was finalized nine days into FA during the summer of 2010. If there wasn't going to be a lockout the TPE would not have expired until nine days into the FA of 2011. What they're doing is trying to protect their asset. I am suprised the Raptors haven't done something similar. Maybe they plan on moving it before then? Maybe the Cavs simply beat them to it, who knows?

Comment

The Raptors may well have asked for it, but either way it will depend upon the new CBA and whether these TPE's exist in the new world. It would truly make sense to extend if they do exist. Perhaps a biased opinion though.

Comment

Good point.

Hard Cap = No exceptions (TPE, MLE, BAE, etc.)

Comment

Re the Raps making the request/not proactive on the matter, did BC not say something to the effect that he is unlikely to use the remainder of the tpe? The Cavs tpe seems much more valuable (whole amt. intact) than the Raps' as well.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
              Re the Raps making the request/not proactive on the matter, did BC not say something to the effect that he is unlikely to use the remainder of the tpe? The Cavs tpe seems much more valuable (whole amt. intact) than the Raps' as well.
              I don't think BC wasn't being pro-active. Plenty of what goes on doesn't get reported.

That said, I think how the CBA ends up will play a big part on whether he sticks to his earlier stance.

And yes, Cleveland and Denver have the two more valuable TPEs. Toronto is third (~$9 mil, I believe), and a whole mess of teams have TPEs slightly smaller than ours, ranging between $5 mil and $8 mil.

Comment

Working...
              X