Hopla Comments On DeMar's Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopla Comments On DeMar's Shot

According to hoopdata.com, DeRozan’s mid-range shooting from 16-to-23 feet improved from a 38 percent success rate in his rookie season to a 40 percent rate this season — with a league average of 39.5 percent from that range, we see that he’s solid from mid-range, but not great. But why the huge dropoff from mid-range to long-range? To answer that question, I emailed a couple of people I consider to be among the leading basketball experts in shooting form and basketball analysis: shooting instructor Dave Hopla and ubiquitous NBA blogger Sebastian Pruiti.

You might remember Hopla from his previous stint as a Raptors assistant coach during the 2006-07 season and you can now find him at davehopla.com where he promotes his camps, videos, his “Shooter’s Club” and an upcoming shooting app. Here is Hopla’s take on DeRozan’s three-point shooting form:
    First of all DD doesn’t shoot a lot of 3’s, it is an area that he definitely needs to improve upon. From what I’ve seen, DD is inconsistent with his footwork from the three-point line. His feet are never the same, sometimes his feet are too close, other times they are too wide. Also at times, he is not aligned with his target. Then on his finish, sometimes he drops his hands, sometimes just his balance hand drops and then when he does freeze his follow-through he has a tendency to finish low with his elbow finishing below the eyebrow. His finish should be upwards and the elbow should be fully extended above the eyebrow, when a shooter does this, he gets good arc on his shot and is not a line drive shooter.

Because I feel like my job is to simplify this stuff as much as possible, let me put it this way: DeMar’s three-point shooting mechanics are all messed up. Pruiti, who writes for his own invaluable NBAPlaybook.com blog while also contributing to The Basketball Jones, Basketball Prospectus, SB Nation and probably a bunch of other places, saw similar mechanical issues with DeRozan’s form but seems to be optimistic that he can improve:
    I think he can improve his shooting at least to the level of his long two-point shooting. The reason why I think that is he basically has the same form up with his upper body (whether that needs improving or not, it is hard to tell. He does have success with it from two), with him taking the ball way over his head and letting it go.

The problem I have seen with DeRozan is with his lower body, specifically his tendency to float forwards on his shot. What I mean by that is instead of jumping straight up and down, DeRozan jumps out. The other problem with this is that he does it very inconsistently, he’ll jump like five feet forward on one shot and a foot forward the next. It is really hard to adjust things like how much arc, spin, and strength you are putting into a shot when you are inconsistent with your motion (that is why Ray Allen’s borderline OCD helps him so much during shooting). If DeRozan hits the front rim on one shot, he doesn’t know how to adjust.
    Source: The Score

Can DD hire this guy this off-season??

Comment

Don't see why not. Hopla has had ties with the Raptors in the past.

Comment

Mechanics on a three point shot are pretty simple to fix, especially if the player has some ability to hit a jumper, as DeRozan does. I'd be shocked if he doesn't make big improvements in the next couple of seasons to where he is at least decent from that distance.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

He should go to Rome and train with Bargs, Bargs can show him how to shoot properly. Better form will help Demar for sure.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
            He should go to Rome and train with Bargs, Bargs can show him how to shoot properly. Better form will help Demar for sure.
            I think most of us would like for DeRozan to work on his defense as well as his outside shot. If he trained with Bargnani over in Rome all he'd be doing is shooting 3's and working on his tan... Maybe Bargs should stay here for the summer and hire a nice defensive coach to improve his overall game... Eh?

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
              I think most of us would like for DeRozan to work on his defense as well as his outside shot. If he trained with Bargnani over in Rome all he'd be doing is shooting 3's and working on his tan... Maybe Bargs should stay here for the summer and hire a nice defensive coach to improve his overall game... Eh?
              Both

Comment

Can you please go back on your medication. You're starting to go overboard with the Bargnani love. Wasn't it you who chastised me for bringing Bargnani up in threads that weren't about him? Isn't that what you're doing in just about every thread, now?
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Can you please go back on your medication. You're starting to go overboard with the Bargnani love. Wasn't it you who chastised me for bringing Bargnani up in threads that weren't about him? Isn't that what you're doing in just about every thread, now?
                  Tim, your medication comment is borderline inflammatory and screams of instigation to me. I have respected your jaded unreal hate fueled biased untrue view of Bargs, and not attacked you. Please provide me with the same courtesy.

Bargs is a better 3 baller than Demar. They are teammates, and best friends. I think it would be great for Bargs to help out DD with his 3 pt shot. Makes sense to me.

Comment

Tim, your medication comment is borderline inflammatory and screams of instigation to me. I have respected your jaded unreal hate fueled biased untrue view of Bargs, and not attacked you. Please provide me with the same courtesy.

Bargs is a better 3 baller than Demar. They are teammates, and best friends. I think it would be great for Bargs to help out DD with his 3 pt shot. Makes sense to me.
                    I am actually concerned, because you were doing fine and then suddenly started going off the deep end. And you haven't respected my stat-based, logical arguments. You've ignored them.

Why do you think Bargnani can teach DeRozan to shoot? because he can do it himself? That's not a reason. Just because someone can do something doesn't mean he can teach it. DeRozan needs to go to someone who knows how to teach.
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I am actually concerned, because you were doing fine and then suddenly started going off the deep end. And you haven't respected my stat-based, logical arguments. You've ignored them.

Why do you think Bargnani can teach DeRozan to shoot? because he can do it himself? That's not a reason. Just because someone can do something doesn't mean he can teach it. DeRozan needs to go to someone who knows how to teach.
                      Well, I didn't mean JUST Bargs, but Bargs is a pretty good 3 baller, plus they could hang out together. Team building. Psychological bonding.

Comment

Well, I didn't mean JUST Bargs, but Bargs is a pretty good 3 baller, plus they could hang out together. Team building. Psychological bonding.
                        DOn't you know? Europeans and North Americans can't hang out together because Europeans just end up sleeping with North American's ex-girlfriends.
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

DOn't you know? Europeans and North Americans can't hang out together because Europeans just end up sleeping with North American's ex-girlfriends.
                          It's all that Hair-Gel they employ. And their fancy accents.

Comment

LMAO, good one man. Charlz! Charlz!

Comment

LOL Bargs and DD are best friends? Oh Multipaul, you crack me up sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X