Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alex English: The Next Toronto Raptors Head Coach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex English: The Next Toronto Raptors Head Coach?

I don't think Jay's job is in jeopardy right now because bottom line, no one could win with the current roster. In my opinion as long as Jay continues to develop the kids, the kids show progress and he stays on the same page as Bryan then he's safe for now. However, when the team will probably be ready to take a step forward Jay will be at the end of his contract. I am not positive he's the answer to long term success. Alex English has been an assistant with the Raptors going on seven years. He came into the fray around the same time as Smitch and has lasted through two coaching era. I think soon he will be ready for his first head coaching assignment and like it our not, Bryan Colangelo has a history of promoting coaches from within. Alex English is one of the all-time basketball greats, one of the most prolific scorers in league history. All he accomplished in the league came through hard work and determination. He wasn't one of these guys who was an instant success the first time he hit the NBA courts. He really had to earn it. He career developed similar to Steve Nash's. The guy is respected league-wide. Based on how Colangelo operates, English's long tenure with the Raptors organization and his basketball background I think he's the most likely candidate to replace Jay Triano some time down the road if no one else makes him an offer first.

Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't think Jay's job is in jeopardy right now because bottom line, no one could win with the current roster. In my opinion as long as Jay continues to develop the kids, the kids show progress and he stays on the same page as Bryan then he's safe for now. However, when the team will probably be ready to take a step forward Jay will be at the end of his contract. I am not positive he's the answer to long term success. Alex English has been an assistant with the Raptors going on seven years. He came into the fray around the same time as Smitch and has lasted through two coaching era. I think soon he will be ready for his first head coaching assignment and like it our not, Bryan Colangelo has a history of promoting coaches from within. Alex English is one of the all-time basketball greats, one of the most prolific scorers in league history. All he accomplished in the league came through hard work and determination. He wasn't one of these guys who was an instant success the first time he hit the NBA courts. He really had to earn it. He career developed similar to Steve Nash's. The guy is respected league-wide. Based on how Colangelo operates, English's long tenure with the Raptors organization and his basketball background I think he's the most likely candidate to replace Jay Triano some time down the road if no one else makes him an offer first.
    If Jay were to get fired this year (which I think would be completely retarded IMO) then I think PJ would prob get the job. I could see Alex getting the job once Jay's worn out his welcome next year if nothing changes. I don't know much about him personally, but he seems like the good cop and has a very passive demeanor. Correct me if im wrong but he was a great offensive player and from that alone i'll make the great assessment that he would be an offensive minded coach.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

still wondering to this day how jay got the gig over english...pj will get the job when jay is moved into the scouting or assistant gm role
      "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

btw pj is a horrible coach...i will cry watching this guy coach the raps

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
          If Jay were to get fired this year (which I think would be completely retarded IMO) then I think PJ would prob get the job. I could see Alex getting the job once Jay's worn out his welcome next year if nothing changes. I don't know much about him personally, but he seems like the good cop and has a very passive demeanor. Correct me if im wrong but he was a great offensive player and from that alone i'll make the great assessment that he would be an offensive minded coach.
          You're right. Being the greatest scorer of the 80's, he wasn't known for being a great defender.

Comment

I always thought of Alex English as a nice guy and it seems he gets along with everyone. I rather Raptors get a coach who doesn't mind to get in your face if u don't play the way he wants.

Comment

I don't think they'd skip over PJ and give Alex the job. If Triano goes it's likely PJ. It was obvious when Jay was promoted from interim head coach to head coach that we weren't trying to find someone better. I think Avery Johnson was free this past off season but he too is struggling in New Jersey. If I'm not mistaken Flip Saunders was free too. What is Larry Brown up to? I'm just throwing names around.

Comment

I don't know if the Raptors are just that bad or is Jay is just that bad of a coach. Sam had moderate success here as a coach. Won us a division title and won coach of the year and got us into the playoffs a couple of times. We got destroyed by Orlando and the Atlantic division was relatively weak the year we won , but he still got us 47 wins. He was obviously doing something right.

Comment

he was holding area accountable..plus we had cb putting up 22 n 10

Comment

I'd like to see Tyrone Corbin (Utah Asst. Coach) or Mike Budenholzer (SA Asst. Coach) get a chance to run their own clubs. Preferrably, here in T.O.

Comment

Plus Alex has a good report with players such Ed Davis and Amir. He deserves lots of credit for improving Amir's free throw shooting and jump shot. Ed Davis is also starting to show glimpses of improving his jumper. If Triano can't show in game improvement with decision making and play calling his time could be running out.

Comment

knowledgep wrote: View Post
                        I'd like to see Tyrone Corbin (Utah Asst. Coach) or Mike Budenholzer (SA Asst. Coach) get a chance to run their own clubs. Preferrably, here in T.O.
                        Def Tyrone Corbin. I hear really good things about him.
                        Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Alex and PJ are perfectly fine where they are, what we need is Larry brown. I have never seen any team run more efficient than that Detroit team he had that won the championship.

Comment

I love Alex English... the player. As a coach, he has that Lenny Wilkens demeanor - super nice, super complacent.
                            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              Alex and PJ are perfectly fine where they are, what we need is Larry brown. I have never seen any team run more efficient than that Detroit team he had that won the championship.
                              Would you add the New York and Charlotte teams there too?
                              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                              X