BC looking like a legit architect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC looking like a legit architect

I think half of the scrutiny that BC has faced was due to the fact that we lost Bosh and Raps fans were just frustrated. If you can discredit him for anything, it would probably be that he tried too hard to retain Bosh in the first place. However, with a clean slate it looks like BC is killing it.

Nick wrote: View Post
    However, with a clean slate it looks like BC is killing it.
    2-8 record indicates another Fail.

This is the fourth season in a row where the Raptors are a struggling team and it all rests on BC shoulders.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
      2-8 record indicates another Fail.

This is the fourth season in a row where the Raptors are a struggling team and it all rests on BC shoulders.
      Not that I think Colangelo has done a great job, or anything, but I think the last thing you can judge this season on is the record.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

How does this thread even get made ?

Teams missed the playoffs now 3 yrs in a row,a TON of questionable moves and signings..

yet he's an architecht ? Go back and look at this teams patch work roster the last 3 years,nothing is architechtual,nothing was designed or planned..its been nothing but panic,disorganization and re active moves....

Comment

Trife76 wrote: View Post
          How does this thread even get made ?

Teams missed the playoffs now 3 yrs in a row,a TON of questionable moves and signings..

yet he's an architecht ? Go back and look at this teams patch work roster the last 3 years,nothing is architechtual,nothing was designed or planned..its been nothing but panic,disorganization and re active moves....
          He was GM of the year his very first year, that speaks for itself. What would you of done differently? I would really like to know that answer.

Comment

I am getting more of an appreciation (following the nba as closely as Iam doing as compared previously) how difficult it is to manage/grow/change a NBA team. So much is timing in relationship to existing talent. Flavors of the year come and go (eg. Cavs, Orlando, Milwaukee, NJ), some progress for a couple of years and then injuries or the dreaded free agency (maybe Howard moves next year) arrives for a player or two, others remain solidly in place because they were able retain the foundation (LA, SA). SO, in my view using the term architect is probably an inappropriate term for a gm in the nba. How would a real (building) architect like to have their creations constantly affected by external events (earthquake, strikes, bad cement).

The best or worst one can say about Colangelo is that he is emotionally not predisposed to standing pat. Is this a good thing or not? At least this has been his mo so far. The ones who are considered good have also had the good fortune to have made the one primo selection on their watch and held on to him/them ...and there are probably 2 or 3 of these. See Portland re Oden and now Roy's problems and how that team is going to manage going forward. The diciness of franchise management is palpable in my view. We could definitely do a lot worse going forward (our cap and talent position). Getting someone new to be much superior isnt as clear cut because of the external forces I alluded to.

Comment

outside of the 1st for o'neal deal i'd say he's done a fine job. his drafting could be a lot better, though.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm

The above link is Colangelo's entire body of work as an NBA GM.

I think Nick has a great point here:

For all the BC-haters, what would you have done differently?

Of course, there is no way to know how it would have panned out but the bottom line is this:

He came in 2007, won an Atlantic title, and lost in the first round to a pretty good NJ team after the glue guy went down (Garbo).

Since then he has tried to build a contender around Chris Bosh. This was obviously a mistake but he went about it as best anyone could.

Look at Bosh now, he has LBJ and D-Wade and look at the results! Are you people kidding me thinking we could win with him here?

Bosh is gone and the franchise is moving on. The team plays with more effort and intensity than any Raptors squad of recent memory with less talent.

I hope BC gets at least this year and next before any decisions are made to let him go. With Bosh now gone we can truly say this is BC's team.

And to show I am not 100% biased here are the moves BC has made that I think he messed up on in part or whole:

1) Including the Raps first rounder to MIA and taking on Banks in O'Neal-Marion trade.
                2) Jason Kapono's contract - not a bad signing at the time but waaay too much $.
                3) 1st rounder in O'Neal deal.

Many other moves are questionable in hindsight and he has made lemonade out of lemons more than once:

1) Delfino and Ukic for Johnson and Weems.
                2) Hedo for Barbosa.
                3) Arujo for Humphries.
                4) Bellinelli (who was Hedo out with I wonder?) for Wright.
                5) Kapono for Evans.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                  outside of the 1st for o'neal deal i'd say he's done a fine job. his drafting could be a lot better, though.
                  He's only drafted 3 guys for the Raps: Bargnani, DeRozan, and Davis in the first round; PJ Tucker and Evan Bavcic in the 2nd round.

Bargnani: hindsight says Rondo and Gay. Aldridge definite argument there. Roy's knees were the issue and 5 years in, after a max contract, we are seeing why.

DeRozan: Who would you want? I can't see anyone else. Jennings is starting to show a ceiling or maybe, for his sake, a sophmore slump. http://www.nba.com/draft2009/

Davis: TBD. http://www.nba.com/draft2010/ Personally, I wish we had got Aminu had he slipped, however, no sense wishing Davis away before he's even played.

Tucker: Hindsight here - Gibson? Powe? Millsap?

Comment

yeah, fair points
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

except aminu. im willing to be money he becomes nothing better than a decent bench player. if i had my druthers we would have moved up for xavier henry but i can see how that would/couldn't have happened.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Nick wrote: View Post
                        I think half of the scrutiny that BC has faced was due to the fact that we lost Bosh and Raps fans were just frustrated. If you can discredit him for anything, it would probably be that he tried too hard to retain Bosh in the first place. However, with a clean slate it looks like BC is killing it.
                        Lack of performance has led to scrutiny. Dealing Bosh isn't the reason for it, it's just one of the causes of the real reason people are pissed.

I wish I could land a job that rewarded me for failure and mediocrity. God only knows what sort of rewards that job provides if I deliver.

Comment

I agree, BC is lookin pretty good. Despite our somewhat shite-from-the-outside looking roster, we have competed against some serious opponents- LA, Miami, Orlando with the win. Factoring in all of the injuries and illnesses that have befallen our team, I think we look good.

Fine, we've had some "winnable" games slip through, namely NYC, Sacramento, Charlotte, but I have enjoyed watching this team for the most part this year. Much better than last year saying "why why why" at Bosh's stat padding iso basketball.

Comment

I like Colangelo, so maybe biased, but I like his track record on trades. Some attempts could have gone either way (and that should include his successes/steals) however I think a dual GM would be ideal here. Sure one can second guess draft work, and I like Aldridge or Gay over Bargnani, now and at that time, so forget the 20-20 looks (never would have gone Rondo, and still wouldn't). That said I would have loved Xavier this last draft, but it wasn't a Xavier or Davis, only Davis was there, and Patterson is already showing a reason he should have been drafted later (as some would have preferred he was selected.)

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm

The above link is Colangelo's entire body of work as an NBA GM.

I think Nick has a great point here:

For all the BC-haters, what would you have done differently?

Of course, there is no way to know how it would have panned out but the bottom line is this:

He came in 2007, won an Atlantic title, and lost in the first round to a pretty good NJ team after the glue guy went down (Garbo).

Since then he has tried to build a contender around Chris Bosh. This was obviously a mistake but he went about it as best anyone could.

Look at Bosh now, he has LBJ and D-Wade and look at the results! Are you people kidding me thinking we could win with him here?

Bosh is gone and the franchise is moving on. The team plays with more effort and intensity than any Raptors squad of recent memory with less talent.

I hope BC gets at least this year and next before any decisions are made to let him go. With Bosh now gone we can truly say this is BC's team.

And to show I am not 100% biased here are the moves BC has made that I think he messed up on in part or whole:

1) Including the Raps first rounder to MIA and taking on Banks in O'Neal-Marion trade.
                              2) Jason Kapono's contract - not a bad signing at the time but waaay too much $.
                              3) 1st rounder in O'Neal deal.

Many other moves are questionable in hindsight and he has made lemonade out of lemons more than once:

1) Delfino and Ukic for Johnson and Weems.
                              2) Hedo for Barbosa.
                              3) Arujo for Humphries.
                              4) Bellinelli (who was Hedo out with I wonder?) for Wright.
                              5) Kapono for Evans.
                              Couldn't have said it any better myself. Great post!

Comment

Working...
                              X