X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors sign Ronald Dupree

What do you guys think of this??

http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/dupr...ng_091610.html

Raptors Sign Ronald Durpee - Is Weems On the Way Out?

There is another post that mentions the Durpree signing as was reported today on NBA.Raptors.com

Raptors sign Ronald Dupree

So the question is why?

Also why has Weems not yet been give a guaranteed contract for 10-11?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9165

Lets not forget the Raptors also have J. Wright who can play the #3 along with DeRozan if needed. Remember also that the Raptors tried to trade for Diaw who can play SF.

Then there is Kleiza who the Raptors committed $20 million to a couple of months ago and played very well in the Worlds Tournament.

Could it be that Weems is on his way out because of this below?

Courting trouble

‘Sonny’ Weems got a loan in college from an ex-CFL star who’s chased him from one town to the next

by Michael Friscolanti on Thursday, July 8, 2010 1:00pm

Clarence “Sonny” Weems is no Chris Bosh. He’s not going to pour in 24 points a game, or have his initials stitched on a pair of Nike basketball sneakers. A face of the franchise he is certainly not. But last season, when the Toronto Raptors were a pitiful bunch to watch, Weems was a welcome dose of hustle and heart. The once-perennial benchwarmer—already traded three times in his two-year NBA career—played with such passion down the stretch that he not only cracked the starting lineup, he earned himself a nice raise. Next season, his salary will top US$850,000.

Which is also great news for Felix Wright, a former Canadian Football League star. Maybe now—after lawsuits on both sides of the border, and a recent judgment from an Ontario court—Weems will finally pay back the $35,000 he owes him.

Until now, the 24-year-old’s rising debt load remained a private matter. But according to court documents obtained by Maclean’s, Sonny Weems finds himself on the wrong end of a lucrative but little-known sports enterprise: companies that dish out loans to hot-shot college athletes. And unless Weems finally coughs up the cash to cover his IOU, his legal problems threaten to drag his employer, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment (MLSE), into court with him. “Mr. Weems is doing nothing,” said Morton Adelson, Felix Wright’s Toronto lawyer. “I’m now going after the Raptors. They can be liable for everything.”
    cont here

It could also be that the Raptors don't want to pay Weems what his agent is asking for.
    Last edited by Buddahfan; Thu Sep 16, 2010, 11:55 AM.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

meh...

Comment

CalibreMC wrote: View Post
        meh...
        See my post here

Is Weems on the way out?

I think Weems may be on the way out.

There is another post that mentions the Durpree signing as was reported today on NBA.Raptors.com

Raptors sign Ronald Dupree

So the question is why?

Also why has Weems not yet been give a guaranteed contract for 10-11?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9165

Lets not forget the Raptors also have J. Wright who can play the #3 along with DeRozan if needed. Remember also that the Raptors tried to trade for Diaw who can play SF.

Then there is Kleiza who the Raptors committed $20 million to a couple of months ago and played very well in the Worlds Tournament.

Could it be that Weems is on his way out because of this below?

Courting trouble

‘Sonny’ Weems got a loan in college from an ex-CFL star who’s chased him from one town to the next
        Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
        Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

skywalker wrote: View Post

Is it a guaranteed contract? If not, it could just be a depth/competition move for training camp, to push the other guys and give the team more options. He very well could wind up never actually suiting up for the Raps in a regular season game.

Comment

I think the bench will be 6.67% warmer.

EDIT: In regards to the Weems comments, he's set to get a big raise by someone and maybe the Raptors don't want to be those someones? Maybe the Raptors are eying him as a cheap trade piece right now?
            Last edited by Apollo; Thu Sep 16, 2010, 12:36 PM.

Comment

not resigning weems now while we can for cheap is retarded. he's the perfect wing player to come off the bench. a guy who can score and defend. if we let him walk and keep busts like wright or this scrub im going to lose it.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                I think the bench will be 6.67% warmer.

EDIT: In regards to the Weems comments, he's set to get a big raise by someone and maybe the Raptors don't want to be those someones? Maybe the Raptors are eying him as a cheap trade piece right now?
                That is what I think

I think the depth chart at SF now stands at

Kleiza
                Wright
                DeRozan - When he is on the court with Barbosa

Comment

Why? So that we can cut Dupree in training camp? Both Dorsey and Weems out played him.
                  -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                  -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    not resigning weems now while we can for cheap is retarded. he's the perfect wing player to come off the bench. a guy who can score and defend. if we let him walk and keep busts like wright or this scrub im going to lose it.
                    Weems is a "chucker" who shoots way too often for his success rate. His defense is also questionable.

I think Wright has a higher upside as a bench rotation player than Weems does.

No reason to commit to a what Weems agent is probably asking.

On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if Dupree has a non-guaranteed contract and MLSE is using his signing to gain leverage over Weems in contract negotiations.

We shall see.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                      Why? So that we can cut Dupree in training camp? Both Dorsey and Weems out played him.
                      It seem to me that Weems was 4th on the depth chart as SF even before the Dupree signing. Kleiza, Wright, DeRozan when Barbosa plays on the court at the same time as DeRozan.

Comment

Why not sign Dupree and bring him in? There's no harm in it.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                          Weems is a "chucker" who shoots way too often for his success rate. His defense is also questionable.

I think Wright has a higher upside as a bench rotation player than Weems does.

No reason to commit to a what Weems agent is probably asking.

On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if Dupree has a non-guaranteed contract and MLSE is using his signing to gain leverage over Weems in contract negotiations.

We shall see.
                          How is Weems a "Chucker"? He's a high flyer who can hit a mid-range shot. I don't know if I would agree with the statement that Wright has more potential. He has more tools, but he doesn't know how to use them/doesn't use them.

Comment

Dupree is training camp fodder that's probably not even worth discussing.

Buddahfan, you've mentioned before about the Raptors actually waiving Weems. I'm not quite sure why you have such a low opinion of Weems, but I really don't see what you have against him. The guy is one of few players that the Raptors using in publicity, so it's incredibly doubtful that they plan to get rid of him. He's the most athletic player on the team, has one of the best mid-range shots on the team, has a pretty varied offensive game and is a very hard worker. His defense was no worse than any other Raptor last season and his shots per minute are pretty normal for a player of his skill level. Per 36 mpg, he takes 12.1 spg. And he shoots over 50% from the field, so it's not as if he's taking a lot of bad shots. I have no idea why you call him a chucker with a low success rate. That makes no sense.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Not signing Weems would be the first domino that would eventually result in Demar not resigning when his rookie contract comes to an end.

Comment

Working...
                              X