Raptors In The FIBA Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors In The FIBA Tourney

It's still August so I'm going to mix it up for the upcoming Fiba tourney that I am super excited for.

Which Raptor do you think will have the most success in Turkey?

David Anderson - Australia's marquee player without Bogut. They also have Patrick Mills, but I think Anderson will be their key. Australia's not expected to do that well with Argentina, Germany and Serbia in their opening pool.
    Notable 'International' Stats
    - 3 Euroleague Championship Rings
    - 43 Fiba Competition Games (Including 2 Olympic Tourney's) with an Avg of 8.6 PPG 4.4 RPG 1.1 APG.
    - Best Tourney = 2005 FIBA Oceania Champ. 13.7 PPG 4.7 RPG

Leandro Barbosa - Starting SG on a Brazil team that could go relatively deep in the tourney. They lost Nene but are still very dangerous with Splitter and Varejao, especially in their group. Winnable games against Iran, Tunisia and Croatia will be key, with the tougher games being against the USA and Slovenia.
    - Averaged 28.2 PPG, 4 RPG, 7 APG and 2.8 SPG in his last season in the Brazil Paulista league
    - 48 FIBA Competition Games with an Avg. of 15.2 PPG, 2.1 RPG, 2.2 APG and 1.2 SPG
    - Best Tourney = 2005 FIBA Americas. 21.2 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 4.2 APG and 2.2 SPG

Andrea Bargnani - - Would have been the star of the Italian team had they not failed to qualify for the World Championships. This was also their first time missing Eurobasket in 45+ years.

Jose Calderon - Was a key player for one of the best teams in the tourney before getting injured.

Linas Kleiza - Starting F for a very good Lithuania team. He seems to be the number 1 option on offense. He has really adapted to the PF position in Europe, and this tourney should be his best yet. Lithuania should realistically finish 2nd in the Group behind Spain. They open against New Zealand, Canada, Spain, France and finally Lebanon.
    - Led Olympiacos to the Euro League final and became the first Lithuania player to win the Alphonso Ford trophy awarded to Europe's top scorer
    - 66 FIBA Competition Games with an Avg. of 16.6 PPG, 7.6 RPG and 1.1 APG.
    - Averaged 11.1 PPG and 4.6 RPG in the 2006 Olympics.
    - Best Tourney = 2001 Euro Championship for Cadets. 21.5 PPG, 12.2 RPG and 1.5 SPG

Most stats were taken directly from the FIBA website.

Comment

i like kleiza and think he's going to do well, but, got to go with barbosa just because brazil is dirty.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

If success=going deep in the tourney, only Lithuania and Brazil have a real chance. Kleiza and Barbosa are important pieces and they have to be at least decent to make their team advance, expecially kleiza imo, since it's true he appears to be their 1st option on offense and can really make an impact rebounding the ball if he's willing to do so. I'll try to watch some brazil because of Splitter more than Barbosa, haven't seen enough of this quality big man and have seen probably too much of the Brazilian Blur in phx

Comment

RecklessIndifference wrote: View Post
          It's still August so I'm going to mix it up for the upcoming Fiba tourney that I am super excited for.

Which Raptor do you think will have the most success in Turkey?

Andrea Bargnani - - Would have been the star of the Italian team had they not failed to qualify for the World Championships. This was also their first time missing Eurobasket in 45+ years.
          I guess that says it all about Bargnani becoming the Raptors marquee player and go to guy unless Raptors management wants more Raptors team finishes in the standings in the coming seasons just like they had in the Bosh years.

Yea I know Bargnani like Bosh didn't have enough talent to support him. Blah, blah, blah

Stats over Winning.

Say it ain't so with Bargnani please.
          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
            I guess that says it all about Bargnani becoming the Raptors marquee player and go to guy unless Raptors management wants more Raptors team finishes in the standings in the coming seasons just like they had in the Bosh years.

Yea I know Bargnani like Bosh didn't have enough talent to support him. Blah, blah, blah

Stats over Winning.

It ain't so with Bargnani! Hope you feel better now

And blah blah blah blah too! You know what I've already said about the lack of talent in the italian team, so I'll just say that without Andrea italy would have been 0/7 in the qualifying round instead of 4/3.
            Oh, and Italy still has a chance or two to qualify for 2011 eurobasket, let's hope 2009 is the last one we miss (bargs wasn't as good that time).

Comment

sixtyeight wrote: View Post
              It ain't so with Bargnani! Hope you feel better now

And blah blah blah blah too! You know what I've already said about the lack of talent in the italian team, so I'll just say that without Andrea italy would have been 0/7 in the qualifying round instead of 4/3.
              Oh, and Italy still has a chance or two to qualify for 2011 eurobasket, let's hope 2009 is the last one we miss (bargs wasn't as good that time).
              I wonder if the NBA league rules would allow MLSE to sell Bargnani's contract to a team in Europe?.
              Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
              Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Stats over Winning.

Nah, Bargnani's stats are big because he's been carrying the team. But you see, Italy didn't qualify (which made me real sad as an italian) because there was NO supporting cast. None, no talent. We have a couple of old experienced guys, and young guys who don't know what defence and rebounding is (Where have I seen this before? HAHA). So Italy didn't make it because of that, not because Bargnani was "ball-hogging". Or because he wasn't a good leader, Italy wouldn't have won ANY games without him. Italy's team this year, compared to the other teams is like having Bargnani play on a D-League team in the NBA. But not any D League team, the WORST D League team.

Comment

I wonder if the NBA league rules would allow MLSE to sell Bargnani's contract to a team in Europe?.
                  I'm ok with that as long as he's not going back to Treviso (have I already said that I hate that team?).

Comment

Linas Kleiza - Starting F for a very good Lithuania team.
                    Last I checked he wasn't starting for the Lithuanian team. Reports that I've read have him as clearly the most talented player on the team, but not starting because of seniority of some of the other vets.

Comment

da_goose09 wrote: View Post
                      Last I checked he wasn't starting for the Lithuanian team. Reports that I've read have him as clearly the most talented player on the team, but not starting because of seniority of some of the other vets.
                      You might be right. The only Box Score I have seen had him starting, but that was just a warm-up game.

Comment

sixtyeight wrote: View Post
                        If success=going deep in the tourney, only Lithuania and Brazil have a real chance. Kleiza and Barbosa are important pieces and they have to be at least decent to make their team advance, expecially kleiza imo, since it's true he appears to be their 1st option on offense and can really make an impact rebounding the ball if he's willing to do so. I'll try to watch some brazil because of Splitter more than Barbosa, haven't seen enough of this quality big man and have seen probably too much of the Brazilian Blur in phx
                        Brazil's kind of a weird team. Sometimes they look like a top team in this tourney, and at other times they look like they could drop out in the 1st round.

Guess we will see soon

Comment

You might be right. The only Box Score I have seen had him starting, but that was just a warm-up game.
                          Yea, either way, he'll play an important role on the team

I'm hoping Brazil has a big tourney, and the Blur plays a part

Comment

Working...
                          X