Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposal: Dampier, Nazr, Augustine To Raps

Toronto Trades: Jose Calderon, Marcus Banks, and Reggie Evans
    Charlotte Trades: Erick Dampier, Nazr Mohammed, D.J. Augustine, 2011 second round pick

Toronto's Perspective

This trade is a huge cost cutting move. Nazr is an expiring $6.8M contract. Dampier's contract is non-guaranteed and can be waived for close to nothing. DJ Augustine is on his rookie contract and has a team option for next season. Here's some math on the savings:

Jose ($30M) + Banks ($4.7M) + Evans ($5M) = $39.7M
    Nazr Mohammed ($6.9M) + DJ Augustine ($2.5M) = $9.4M

So basically the Raptors save $30M dollars. They also get a young former lottery pick in DJ Augustine and some depth at centre with Nazr Mohammed. Also by waiving Dampier we open up a roster spot. And finally we get an additional 2nd round pick for next year's draft. So now we have:

PG: Jack/Barbosa/Augustine
    SG: DeRozan/Weems
    SF: Kleiza/Wright
    PF: Johnson/Davis/Dorsey
    C: Andrea/Nazr/Anderson/Alabi

Charlotte's Perspective

The trade will put Charlotte under the luxury tax threshold, with a total payroll of $69.3M for next season. Jose helps fit the offensive role that they so desperately need: a pass first, strong shooting PG. Banks fills in a third string PG but could see some decent minutes because of his defense. Evans helps fill their hole at PF behind Tyrus Thomas/Diaw. Unfortunately, this leaves the cupboard bare for them at the C spot:

PG: Jose/Shaun Livingston/Marcus Banks
    SG: Stephen Jackson/Gerald Henderson/Matt Carrol
    SF: Gerald Wallace/Eduardo Najera/Dominique McGuire
    PF: Boris Diaw/Reggie Evans
    C: Tyrus Thomas/DeSagana Diop

Didn't Charlotte waive Dampier?
    The only negative point would be our huge gap at point... I don't really feel to great with leaving the duties to Jack and Augustin... :/

Comment

Also the trade machine is saying dampier can't be traded. Can he?
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

After thinking about it seems like mainly a lateral move. Is Nazr Mohammed the best we can get for Calderon? Why bother to get banks and augustine involved? Charlotte can just wave Dampier so how much are we saving them by taking him in a trade? Especially if they have to give up a second round pick. We are basically buying that pick for the amount it would take to waive dampier wouldn't they rather keep the pick and waive him themselves?
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
          After thinking about it seems like mainly a lateral move. Is Nazr Mohammed the best we can get for Calderon? Why bother to get banks and augustine involved? Charlotte can just wave Dampier so how much are we saving them by taking him in a trade? Especially if they have to give up a second round pick. We are basically buying that pick for the amount it would take to waive dampier wouldn't they rather keep the pick and waive him themselves?
          I think you missed my financial explanation. We are saving $30M while at the same time getting a back-up centre for this season, a former lottery pick (Augustine), and a second round pick. All this for the price of Jose and 2 expirings. Why do this? A number of reasons. One, after this trade we can use the full $14M TPE without fear of crossing the luxury tax threshold. Two, we save about $9M in the first season - that's huge especially since most people don't expect us to make the playoffs. Three, we actually gain some depth (Nazr, Augustine) while reducing redundancy (Reggie Evans) in the roster. Four, we can try playing Andrea with a "real centre" in Nazr Mohammed. Five, Augustine won't command the same number of minutes as Calderon, meaning Barbosa can play some more one, meaning DeRozan and Weems get more time at the 2.

EDIT: Here's an easier way to look at it:

Is Jose Calderon worth Nazr Mohammed and DJ Augustine? I think he's worth more.
          Is Jose Calderon worth Nazr Mohammed, DJ Augustine, and $9.7M in savings? I think yes.
          Last edited by Marz; Thu Aug 12, 2010, 02:02 PM.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
            Didn't Charlotte waive Dampier?
            The only negative point would be our huge gap at point... I don't really feel to great with leaving the duties to Jack and Augustin... :/
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erick_Dampier
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Dampier can't be traded with anything, since he was just recently traded he has to be dealt alone.

thus, why charlotte tried to send him to indiana with them getting calderon and us getting t.j. so, it was all sperate.
              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                Dampier can't be traded with anything, since he was just recently traded he has to be dealt alone.

thus, why charlotte tried to send him to indiana with them getting calderon and us getting t.j. so, it was all sperate.
                Toronto can do them as two separate trades: Jose for Augustine+Mohammed, and Reggie+Marcus+$0.5M TPE (or Joey Dorsey's non-guaranteed contract) for Dampier.

And something to add, by doing this trade the Raptors would be under the cap by about $3.75M, and they'd still have the TPE to work with.

Comment

wont work because dampier cant be traded until sept 13 or he can only be moved if he is traded by himself

Comment

shazzy wrote: View Post
                    wont work because dampier cant be traded until sept 13 or he can only be moved if he is traded by himself
                    Please check the post *directly* above yours. The trade can be split up into two parts.

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                      I think you missed my financial explanation. We are saving $30M while at the same time getting a back-up centre for this season, a former lottery pick (Augustine), and a second round pick. All this for the price of Jose and 2 expirings. Why do this? A number of reasons. One, after this trade we can use the full $14M TPE without fear of crossing the luxury tax threshold. Two, we save about $9M in the first season - that's huge especially since most people don't expect us to make the playoffs. Three, we actually gain some depth (Nazr, Augustine) while reducing redundancy (Reggie Evans) in the roster. Four, we can try playing Andrea with a "real centre" in Nazr Mohammed. Five, Augustine won't command the same number of minutes as Calderon, meaning Barbosa can play some more one, meaning DeRozan and Weems get more time at the 2.

EDIT: Here's an easier way to look at it:

Is Jose Calderon worth Nazr Mohammed and DJ Augustine? I think he's worth more.
                      Is Jose Calderon worth Nazr Mohammed, DJ Augustine, and $9.7M in savings? I think yes.
                      Thank you for the re-explanation. Makes more sense, I could see BC pulling the trigger on this trade, although i'm still not sold personally.

Comment

Can you trade the Trade Exception for Dampier (straight up)? Charlotte just signed Kwame Brown and now has Dampier, Mohammad and Brown as Centers. They also have more than 15 players and their message boards are wondering if a trade is already setup or in the works. I couldn't find the thread where someone explains why a move between Bobcats and Raptors will happen after Sept 13, but that sounds more and more likely to me. All reports out of TO say Colangelo is not done dealing this summer and yet nothing is happening. Also, don't know if Calderon injury affects this idea (as Charlotte was interested in him).

Comment

Marz wrote: View Post
                          Toronto can do them as two separate trades: Jose for Augustine+Mohammed, and Reggie+Marcus+$0.5M TPE (or Joey Dorsey's non-guaranteed contract) for Dampier.

And something to add, by doing this trade the Raptors would be under the cap by about $3.75M, and they'd still have the TPE to work with.
                          so they istantly get 4 mill. in cap space?

Comment

Why dont we just wait till they waive Dampier and then try and pick him up at a decent price and keep our TPE

Comment

and then what?

a decent price?dampier isn't going to sign for like 1.3 million.

Comment

Working...
                              X