Getting To Know Julian Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting To Know Julian Wright

The trade is happening and I have no arguements. There is already a thread to discuss the trade itself but this is a thread to discuss the player himself and get to know him better.

His Game And Where He Plans To Take It:

Early in his NBA career, Wright has often been billed as a do-it-all kind of player who can help a team in multiple categories. Unfortunately, it’s possible that’s factored into his inability to establish a niche or narrow his focus on what might be the most efficient aspects of his game.

“It was glorified at first (as a) rookie that I could do a lot of things, but now I’m realizing that that doesn’t work in this league,” Wright assessed. “You’ve got to have a staple that teammates know you can do.

“I just want to bring two or three things to the table every night, so that the coaches and my teammates know what I’m going to do. It’s time to move forward and figure out what I can do to be most effective regardless of the situation. I think this year was tough because I’ve been all over the place in terms of my position and assignments.”

“In watching other guys in the league, how they’ve gotten better slowly, but they’ve had two or three things that were their staples. And I haven’t gotten to that point. I want to work on a few things and say, ’OK, this is what I have for you. That’s it.’ Just force my will and say, ’Let’s find a way to make this work.’ ”

Wright was encouraged by the final stretch of the regular season, when he seemed to be grasping how he could most effectively contribute to the team.

“The last couple weeks I’ve been trying to focus on a couple things, and that makes it easier,” Wright said in mid-April. “I just feel like there hasn’t been as much clarity as far as what was expected of me. It’s hard to have those high expectations when that’s the case. I don’t want to be a robot, but I don’t mind taking orders and knowing what exactly what it is to do. That makes it easier for me to gauge what I need to improve on. I’ve been focusing on a couple things I know I am capable of doing and will be counted on for. That’s my starting point and what I’m working on this summer.”

About Not Attending Summer League:
    “Not in that environment at this time in my career,” Wright said, when asked by reporters if another trip to summer league would benefit his development. “Summer league is so scoring-oriented. I’m going into my fourth year, and it’s not all about me going out to get buckets. But that’s kind of what summer league is about, being aggressive all the time and scoring. I feel like I’d rather just work on things individually, or if I do play pickup, it will be with guys who have already been in the league for awhile. I feel like that will be best for me.”
    Plans Over The Summer Break:
    Wright will spend this summer working in New Orleans with Hornets assistant coach Robert Pack instead of going to Chicago, where the past two years he trained with players such as Miami’s Dwyane Wade under the direction of fitness expert Tim Grover.

“I feel like it’s been really hard to look at it at face value and know what I have to work on, ” Wright said. “Being a draft pick, they’re always evaluating you and looking to see if you’re making strides.

“Me, going into my fourth year, I’m wondering, too. I would have liked to have made a lot of strides by now. But I think my confidence in myself is still there. But sometimes, you need that from the front office and coaching staff, too.”

Sources:
    NBA.com
    Nola.com

An Interview With Julian Wright (June 14, 2010)

Joe: You've expressed frustration through Twitter that you still need to find out what kind of NBA player you are. What kind of player are you trying to become? And what workouts are you doing this off season to get there?

Julian: One thing is that I just want to be in better shape, to be able to sustain injuries. I mean I've done that so far, but there's more. Conditioning is going to be a huge factor, but also my jump shot. I've been working on that for a while, but I need to get consistent. I'm getting back to the basics this summer. I can take a thousand jump shots, but it's about taking a thousand of the same shots with good fundamentals. That way you know you can make adjustments so you can make it running and when you spot up.

Joe: Is there anything on the defensive end?

Julian: Conditioning. I've done some stuff to work on slides, but mainly conditioning. Just being in better shape in terms of my core. I think can really help me. In terms of the actual games I really use training camp, but you know, you really gotta have those initial god-given skills to play defense.

Joe: You've widely been considered someone who can become a lock down defender. Do you think that maybe in the past you haven't had the right direction as far as head coaching goes?

Julian: I think you could say that. I've given my all, but maybe I haven't had the right focus. As a young player you really look to your coach a lot and I think I need someone to give me direction and be really great with communication, to let me know what he's thinking because I think I'm very open minded and eager to improve. When you don't know what to improve it's hard.

Joe: Well Monty Williams sounds excited to work with you. Can I assume the feeling is mutual.

Julian: Definitely. I actually met Monty Williams at a press conference and you know- He was a wing player in his career and a respected player. You don't get an assistant job as well as a head coaching job at the rate he's had unless you're respected. I've seen the great work he's done with Martell Webster, Nicolas Batum and Travis Outlaw, and it's fun to see how they groove. So hopefully he can do that with me.

Joe: Monty is the youngest coach in the league, are you excited to work with someone as obviously motivated as he is to make a name for himself.

Julian: Well you know I'm one of the youngest guys on the team, so I mean I guess there is king of something in common. We obviously have a lot of room to grow for him and me as well so I imgine that he's going to be on fire trying to turn things around.

Joe: I noticed that you worked well with Collison and Thornton as sort of a high tempo transition unit. Do you work with them in the offseason at all or do you practice with them more because they are also on on the younger side?

Julian: Well during the season we work out a little bit, but during the offseason it's tough. During the season you can really talk to other guys about what they're doing, but this time of year pretty much everyone is doing their own thing and it's ahrd to find time to really catch up with them. If you didn't talk in May it's hard to catch up in June or July, you know. The younger guys though tend to come back a little early for training camp and it would be best I think for everyone to come back since we have a new coach. Usually though the younger guys do though.

Joe: Do you see yourself as a small forward or a power forward at this point.

Julian: I see myself as a small forward, but you know now it's sort of a trend to be able to play a little power forward. It's a good thing to be able to do now since teams are running small sometimes.

Joe: A few years ago you had some of your best performances filling in for David West when he was injured. I feel like that was primarily at the PF position.

Julian: Yeah, well I look at it like that as well. You have guys like Antawn Jamison who can stretch the floor and that's why I'm working so hard on my jump shot, so I can be a guy who can fill in at both positions. I think that will be able to help me to play both positions and it won't matter who is guarding me. That way coach can use me however he wants. It will make it much easier for me to take shots and attack from the wing. So far I just feel like I've been limited through not being able to knock down consistent jump shot

Joe: Are you working with the same people you were working with in Chicago last summer?

Julian: Currently I'm not. Tim Grover and all them did an extremely incredible job with me, but it's just more a preference for me. I'm still open to working with them in the future.

Joe: Are there any other NBA players you are working with this summer?

Julian: Right now it's just me. I think it's just good to get back to basics. I'm trying to have the least amount of distractions this summer. It's the last year of my rookie deal and I really want to work hard this summer to get back to the playoffs. Missing out really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Joe: Have you talked to anyone on the team about this offseason regarding the excitement surrounding the team.

Julian: I catch up with Chris just whenever I see him but ya know, everyone's doing their own thing. It's kind of tough.

Joe: Are there any Jayhawks in the draft that you think are going to make a big splash in the draft?

Julian: Well we have three right now. Sharron Collins. Xavier Henry a highly skilled two guard and Cole Aldrich who is a Junior. I'm excited to see the tradition of guys coming from college and making an impact on a team

Joe: Do you know any of them on a personal level?

Julian: Well Sharon I played with because we were both from the Chicago area, and Cole as well, he comitted with I was there. And Xavier as well I know because his brother played...with the Jayhawks.

Joe: Have you played against any of them before?

Julian: Not really, well I played with Sharron is high school a little bit, but I'm going into my fourth year and they are rookies.

Joe: Is it safe to say you would prefer the Hornets draft a Jayhawk?

Julian: Ehhh- I want them to draft the person who will best help our team. If that happens to be a Jayhawk then great and I'll take him out to eat, and you take him under my wing. Then the next day well tell him what we're going to do to him

Joe: I know that in the past the rookies have been, well I don't want to say hazed, but have been required to carry bags and such. Is there anything you can tell me about how that experience helps guys to transition to the NBA?

Julian: Well it starts in summer league. Sort of right after the draft. Three weeks after you're drafted you have to be in vegas and you have to carry the bags in the heat and sun of Las Vegas. You know it's just getting started. I had to carry a pink little miss princess bag, but you know. Those little things, they stick with you for a long time because it's a transition to a new life and you have to earn your stripes.

Joe: Is there like a final ceremony that ends your time as a rookie?

Julian: No, if they see you're being professional sometimes they will end it early, but you're technically a rookie until you start your second year. Until you suit up and you are out there. I think for me when we made the playoffs they wanted me to stop thinking of myself as a rookie. They told me this is the playoffs, you need to step up. So I stopped all the carrying bags and stuff. So sometimes it just goes along with you and how you respond to what your teammates.

Joe: Well thanks a lot Julian. I appreciate it. Good luck next season.

Julian: No problem. Best of luck to you too.

Am I the only one who feels as though Julian Wright is probably the player who will benefit most from Monty Williams coming on board? He still has a ways to go offensively, but with some real guidance it's a distinct possibility that he will still realize his potential. The team needs to improve it's perimeter defense and Julian Wright just might be the man for the job.

If I had to pick a Hornet right now as the favorite for Most Improved Player, it would undoubtedly be Ju-Ju. Note that.
    Source: Hornets247.com

Comment

His Mid-Season Frustrations (Feb 17, 2010)

When all is said and done, Julian Wright could be one of those guys that never lives up to his potential. Kind of like Jermaine O’Neal, who spent the first four years of his career rotting on the bench in Portland, the 22-year-old Wright may just need a chance to play. And with the NBA Trade Deadline now less than 24 hours away, the 6-8 forward made it public yesterday – via Twitter – that he wishes he was also on the move.

10:52 AM Feb 16th from Sidekick: Off to practice, thinking bout how I’m jealous of all these players that managed to get traded before Thursday…

2:41 PM Feb 16th from Twitterrific: Just saying, might need a change of scenery, of course I love New Orleans! Bought a house here.

2:50 PM Feb 16th from Twitterrific: Not bout blaming anyone. Just thinkin bout the C. Fryes, S. Browns, and the G. Wallaces, of the league who just needed a change of scenery.

While it probably wasn’t the best forum, I totally understand where Wright is coming from, and think the players that he mentioned are perfect examples of guys that needed a new team to finally shine.

Wright went on later in the day to apologize, saying that while he worked hard these past two summers, that’s exactly what he’ll have to do again this offseason to finally get his chance
      Source: DimeMag.com

While I normally don't like stuff like this, when it's the case of a guy working hard but can't get time I can emphasize. In Toronto during a rebuilding movement he will eventually get his chance to prove his worth even if it doesn't come right away. I hope he forms a bond with the young guns.

Comment

He's 22 right now so he fits the "Young Gunz" age group. He hasn't really been given much of a chance it looks like, peaking at about 14 mpg in his sophomore year. Some of that's probably on him. Hopefully Triano can give him a more defined role this season and he can put up or shut up.

Comment

The question now is, do the Raptors have the coaches to help him improve his game? At the end of the day I just want him to be better for us than Antoine.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

One key thing I hope everyone remembers is that Sonny Weems never got a real chance before he came to Toronto. In Toronto he was given support and respect and he was a pleasant surprise. Same can be said for Amir Johnson. Same can be said for Carlos Delfino. Same can be said for JaMario Moon.

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
            The question now is, do the Raptors have the coaches to help him improve his game? At the end of the day I just want him to be better for us than Antoine.
            I would say of course they do. They have a lot of good teaching coaches. I don't know if it gets much better than Alex English and Alvin Williams in terms of guys who can teach him the trade one on one. English is a hall-of-famer and Alvin was one of the best players the franchise ever seen.
            Last edited by Apollo; Wed Aug 11, 2010, 03:24 PM.

Comment

when a player gets traded straight up for Belinelli, damn straight im going to be suspicious. seems like a kid with un-tapped potential-another belli-im just hoping he can play some D, good shot selection, and listen to the coaches and ill be happy.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Source: DimeMag.com

While I normally don't like stuff like this, when it's the case of a guy working hard but can't get time I can emphasize. In Toronto during a rebuilding movement he will eventually get his chance to prove his worth even if it doesn't come right away. I hope he forms a bond with the young guns.
                You mean empathize?
                Normally I'd understand a young guy frustrated with his playing time, but repeatedly going on Twitter to publicly almost request a "change of scenery" so soon into his career is definitely a red flag for me. He says he's working hard, but who doesn't, and if he can't get a good amount of playing time in New Orleans considering their depth at the 3 (which behind Peja is basically nothing at all), that pretty suspicious too.

Edit: Ok my mistake there's also Posey, but considering his and Peja's ages, and the fact that Peja has become pretty useless the last few seasons, the minutes were still there for the taking if Wright had worked hard enough.
                Last edited by Kennay; Wed Aug 11, 2010, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
                  You mean empathize?
                  Normally I'd understand a young guy frustrated with his playing time, but repeatedly going on Twitter to publicly almost request a "change of scenery" so soon into his career is definitely a red flag for me. He says he's working hard, but who doesn't, and if he can't get a good amount of playing time in New Orleans considering their depth at the 3 (which behind Peja is basically nothing at all), that pretty suspicious too.
                  He was behind both Peja and Posey. And in his first two seasons he was playing for Scott, a coach known for playing veterans over rookies. Why didn't he play last season? I don't know. But his first two seasons were heavily affected by Byron Scott.

Comment

Kennay wrote: View Post
                    You mean empathize?
                    Of course I meant empathize. Typo?

As Marz just pointed out, he was in a bad situation. I'll add to it. He was playing on a team that feels a lot of pressure to excel. Unlike the luxury players get with Jay Triano, in New Olreans Julian wasn't permitted to fail, continue and learn. He failed and got hooked. It wasn't a good learning environment.

Comment

J. Wright has always been an intruiging player. He probably left Kansas too early and never refined his game as he needs work on handles and jumper (always been the critique about him) but I appreciated the interview stuff Apollo cause he seems to have a maturity about him that I didn't know and it never hurts when a young guy is playing for a contract and trying to cement himself in the league. Motivation is HIGH for him this year to have a solid year.

Never been a fan of Belinelli so I like this move. Not sure how much better it makes the Raps but at the SF spot I actually like his potential and ability to potentially do numerous things for this team more than I do Kleiza.

Wright is an unorthodox player (much like Belinelli) but I can see him focusing in on trying to make things work here and not doing too much, and he's been asking for a change in scenery, so hope he shines with the opportunity.

Comment

Thanks Apollo for posting the interview with our newest player. The best sentence for me was: "It's the last year of my rookie deal and I really want to work hard this summer..."

Wright will certainly have an opportunity in Toronto. Let's hope he'll take a full advantage of the situation.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          One key thing I hope everyone remembers is that Sonny Weems never got a real chance before he came to Toronto. In Toronto he was given support and respect and he was a pleasant surprise. Same can be said for Amir Johnson. Same can be said for Carlos Delfino. Same can be said for JaMario Moon.

I would say of course they do. They have a lot of good teaching coaches. I don't know if it gets much better than Alex English and Alvin Williams in terms of guys who can teach him the trade one on one. English is a hall-of-famer and Alvin was one of the best players the franchise ever seen.

Good points but I would add Carlesimo who did coach successfully in college and does have a very good track record teaching defense to young players in the NBA, with the Spurs, Trailblazers and even the Thunder to a certain extent
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

Is this what we'll get from Julian Wright?

Does this sum up his offensive prowess?

He looks like the opposite of Calderon, great defense and suspect offense.

Poor quality, but you get the point...
                            Last edited by playmak3r5; Wed Aug 11, 2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
                              Good points but I would add Carlesimo who did coach successfully in college and does have a very good track record teaching defense to young players in the NBA, with the Spurs, Trailblazers and even the Thunder to a certain extent
                              Good point mentioning PJ. He's also a no B.S. kind of guy. Just what young players need.

Comment

Working...
                              X